Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Sean's Sports World

My sports world is looking good right now. The new baseball team in town, the Washington Nationals, has already had their pitchers and catchers report to Spring Training. The Pirates Spring Training starts tomorrow. I love this time of year for baseball. Even though the Pirates have no chance on getting to the playoffs and probably will not even get to .500 again this year, there's always hope in February and March. I really need to get to Bradenton, Florida for Spring Training sometime (hopefully soon). This is on my list of things to do in my life as well as going to Punxsutawney, PA for Groundhog's Day.

I also love this time of year for college basketball, particularly since my teams are doing well. The University of Pittsburgh Panthers are now 18-4 after beating Syracuse on Monday. My adopted team, George Mason University, is also doing well. Although the only way they will get to the NCAA Tournament is to win the CAA (Colonial Athletic Association) Tournament, they are now 15-10 after defeating 23-4 Old Dominion. I went to tonight's game, in which the Patriots (that's George Mason) dominated. Very good win.

The only minus is that the hockey season is officially over. I'm totally fine with this. Having a hockey season with only 20-some games and playoffs isn't worth having. Hopefully, the players and owners can work something out so that the league can survive.

Pirates official Countdown to Spring Training (for pitchers and catchers) is 13 hours 33 minutes and 21 seconds!!

No comments: