Sunday, February 13, 2005

Grammy Predictions - Part 2

Best Female Pop Vocal: Norah Jones - Sunrise. This seems like a pretty weak category this year. The First Cut is the Deepest is not Sheryl Crow's best and I can't see Gwen Stefani winning a Grammy with the lyric "Take a chance you stupid ho," although it's a catchy song. Who knew that Bjork was still making music?

Male Pop Vocal: Maybe my definition of pop is different than the Grammys version. I think this category is pretty weak too. I'll go with Prince.

Rock Performance by Duo or Group (I did album yesterday, this is song): This is a really tough category. I think Green Day - American Idiot will win, but I really like Somebody Told Me by The Killers.

As I'm going through the list of categories, there is also Best Rock Song, which goes to the songwriter. I'm really confused by all the categories. Gobo, thanks for your comment yesterday, which helped clear things up. For the most part, everyone who was nominated for Rock Performance was nominated for Best Rock Song. Do Grammy voters usually pick the same artist for both? Well, I'll pick The Killers nearly beating Green Day and U2 - Vertigo.

There's too many categories, so my predictions are over. I'll just replace it with other notes:

R. Kelly is nominated for Best R&B Performance. I'll go out on a limb and say that he won't win.

- Eminem was nominated for Best Rap Solo Performance for Just Lose It. This is a terrible song.

- Jamie Foxx is nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration with Twista and Kanye West. If Foxx wins, would he be the first person ever to win a Grammy and acting Oscar in the same year?

- I'm rooting for Kanye West to do well tonight. Why? One of his main collaborators is Miri Ben-Ari, the Hip-Hop violinist who grew up near Tel Aviv.

- I'll pick Eddie Blazonczyk's Versatones to win Best Polka. Personally, I think the Pennsylvania Polka should win every year!

- In the best spoken word category, Bill Clinton is going up against Steve Martin. To nominees David Sedaris and David Holt & Zeb Holt, I'd say your chances are not very good.

I'll do a Grammy recap later tonight.

No comments: