Sunday, February 13, 2005

Grammy Ramblings

I flipped between three pre-Grammy shows, all of them worse than the next. On E!, Star Jones and Kathy Griffith were terrible. When interviewing Los Lonely Boys, Star Jones asked, is it nice being back in your hometown. Los Lonely Boys: we’re from Texas. Kathy Griffith just asks random questions that aren’t very funny. Most of the people she talks to look frightened. I will give her credit for one question to Jordan Knight: who’s Lil’er, Kim or Jon?

On the TV Guide network, Joan Rivers has no idea who she is interviewing. She needs to stick to the Oscars.

To the other extreme, MTV won’t interview anyone older than 30. Is it really necessary for their title to be All Up at the Grammys? I guess pre-show isn’t exciting enough. Or maybe I’m just getting too old.

Opening Number: I’m never tired of Black Eyed Peas. I love their energy. Memo to Gwen Stefani: You are a rich girl. I also don’t see the correlation between Fiddler on the Roof, Harajuku girls and pirates. Can someone please tell me: How far is heaven? Please tell me. Pretty please?

I've been on the phone the last half hour, so I can’t fully concentrate on the Grammys. I really should get Tivo. I don’t think I missed very much. I could be wrong, but I think Led Zeppelin just got a lifetime achievement award. It happened so quick (no highlights and they didn’t go on stage), that maybe it didn’t happen.

Bill Clinton won a Grammy for the best spoken word category. That's now 2 Grammys for the family (Hillary won one a few years ago). How many artists and performers would give everything for 2 Grammys?

I think there was some hype about J Lo and Marc Anthony. That was a pretty boring performance. J. Lo combed her hair. The Black Eyed Peas should have joined in.

Maroon 5 just won best new artist. Maybe it’s me, but I see them as a one album wonder. They seem like Matchbox 20, but without the star power or talent of Rob Thomas. I don’t understand why they are so big.

They just introduced Ricky Martin, Mario and someone else. I was wondering what Mario was doing now that the NHL is officially over. Oh, that’s not the same Mario.

The careerbuilder.com commercial with the monkeys are still funny.

If you ever saw Guys and Dolls, Kanye West's performance reminds me of the Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat scene.

I hate when the Grammys do this. Someone performs and then immediately wins. Why announce the other nominees when the winner is already on stage.

Congrats to Kanye West, but I think he just referenced Al Bundy.

It is now 9:57 p.m., and I may not make it through the end of the show. To answer my question from above, yes, I am getting old.

No comments: