Monday, March 07, 2005

Wanted: Hamburger Helper Rice Oriental

In my mission to use this blog for good, not evil, I am on a mission to find Betty Crocker's Hamburger Helper - Rice Oriental flavor. My dad is a huge fan of this Hamburger Helper variety, but they don't sell it in Pittsburgh anymore. Actually, they really don't sell it anywhere anymore. Whenever he goes on vacation, he visits the local grocery store, partially looking the Rice Oriental Hamburger Helper. My brother and I have helped him a little over the years. In 1997 on a cross-country road trip, we found and bought several boxes in Tulsa, Oklahoma. On my honeymoon last summer, we found some in Skagway, Alaska.

I am calling out to anyone reading this. Please let me know if there is Hamburger Helper Rice Oriental at your grocery store. I will pay for the boxes and shipping, but contact me before you buy it. This is a late birthday/early Father's Day gift.

Thank you for your support.

Update February 2008: I still receive numerous hits from people searching for Rice Oriental Hamburger Helper. If you are searching for it, I've put together a list of places where it is available (with links) here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://specialty.generalmills.com/

I found the unicorn at the above website

Anonymous said...

as if its worth paying almost $44 for 0 & im another who loves the stuff & is searching. amazon.com has it listed but its listed as "unavailable" & their other varieties come out to only $13 a case.

billytracy said...

Honestly, I cannot stand the smell of this stuff! I grew up eating this style at least 2 times a week. I always look for this flavor in my grocery store, so my husband can taste what I was subjected to as a child. NO ONE HAS IT! So, when I finally do get my hands on it, my husband can understand why, when someone says "Hamburger Helper" and I say "I don't like it"!

Tracy B.
Westmont, Il

Anonymous said...

Blasphemy billytracy, blasphemy I say

Anonymous said...

My husband has been searching for rice oriental for 2 years. We live in Tennessee, anytime we go out of town, we look for it in the local grocery stores. It believe it is discontinued. I know this is not the same thing, ut I have a recipe that I found that tase just like it. Maybe this will satisfy your Rice Oriental craving:


Stove Top Rice Oriental Ground Beef Recipe

25 min | 5 min prep

SERVES 4 -6

1-1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion (Diced)
1 garlic clove (Minced)
1 (1 1/4 ounce) package onion soup mix
1 cup raw rice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
2 cups water
Cook Lean Ground Beef drain if needed.
Add Chopped Onion and Minced Garlic and Onion Soup Mix,Rice,Water with Soy Sauce.
Cook for 20mins or till the rice is done and water gone.
Add Mushrooms heat though.

1111 said...

I LOVE that stuff. I make it now with the folliwing:

Brown I pound ground beef
Drain most of the juices.

Mix up some generic brown gravy with 3 cups of water and add to meat.

Pour in a bag of boil-in-bag white rice and bring to a boil.

Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.

✌️❤️