Thursday, January 16, 2014

Where Can You Find Cherikee Red?

As a child, I often went to Rhoda's in Squirrel Hill with my aunt and uncle and had matzah ball soup, a hot dog or sandwich and a can of Cherikee Red pop (yes, I said pop). I'm not sure how well these items went together, but I really enjoyed these meals. Anyway, if you're not familiar with Cherikee Red, you're missing out on this cherry pop magical deliciousness. I haven't seen Cherikee Red in years, so I turned to the internet* to see if the product still exists.


Last February, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette published an article by Andrew Seder (why is the writer different than all other writers?) titled "Cherikee Red: Rediscovered Soft Drink From Scranton Makes Comeback But Still Is Scarce." Essentially, Cherikee Red's back. All right! However, where can you find this refreshing and probably low-calorie soft drink? There's a Bring Back Cherikee Red Facebook group that shows some businesses that carry Cherikee Red, but this page hasn't been updated in nearly a year. More importantly, I don't see the product carried anywhere outside Pennsylvania.

Here's my challenge to you. If you see Cherikee Red, post a comment here about where you found it. Bonus points if you see Cherikee Red anywhere in the DC area. Maybe I should ask my local Wegmans to carry Cherikee Red.

As a bit of a tangent, the Washington Redskins should really sell Cherikee Red at FedEx Field. Seems like a perfect match.


* Where I quickly discovered that Cherikee Red is Cherikee Red and not Cherokee Red if that makes sense.

19 comments:

Ev said...

I can buy it at my local Giant sometimes here in Baltimore.

Sean said...

Ev - I make it to Baltimore fairly often, so would you mind e-mailing me at seanramblings at yahoo [dot]com to let me know which Giant.

Unknown said...

I went to see my niece I'm Pennsylvania and bought some in a 20oz bottle in Carbondale pa at turkey hill store and also at sure fine grocery store in Clifford pa.

Anonymous said...

http://www.sodafinder.com/products/cherikee-red

Unknown said...

Uniontown PA has it at every gas station

Kourtnnee said...

Wilkes-Barre, Pa carries Cherikee Red almost everywhere

Anonymous said...

It is intended to be thought of as "Cherokee Red" but is a play in words in regards to the "Cherry" ultimately being spelled "Cherikee Red". This soda is mostly found in northeastern pa Scranton/WilkesBarre area since it was once produced there.

Unknown said...

I live in northeast PA in the small town of New Milford (between Scranton PA and Binghamton NY). At the pump and pantry they always have them stocked. Every time I go to the gas station they are there. I usually grab 2 or 3

Anonymous said...

I found the mother load in Northern Cambria at Giant Eagle.

Anonymous said...

I found it at Sheetz in Wexford on Warrendale-Bayne & NIcholson

MaskedMarvel04 said...

I get it at foodland. We take the 214 mile trip every year and this has become a tradition. Also saw it at the Uniontown Walmart

Anonymous said...

I wasn't aware this was Northeastern PA thing, I've known it since I was a kid and I've lived in Southeastern PA all my life. It's my favorite drink, but it IS hard-ish to find around here, these days I only see it at a nearby locally owned smaller shop.

Eric M. said...

It used to be bottled in Scranton, Pa, and Ohio, And Virginia so it was somewhat plentiful in the Northeast. Not as popular as name brands, but you could usually find it, and I live in NYC. Eventually, around the time of this OP's originating date it was bought by an Ohio company. (Ignore what Wikipedia says about Texas). It is still made, but only sold in Ohio and Western, Pa through one distributor, Dean's Supply. (ShopatDean[dot]com). There may be overpriced offers on Ebay or Amazon, but those are usually just profiteers and there is no guarantee on quality. If you visit Ohio, or know someone there who can buy & ship it to you, they offer it at $7.95 a case (can only). They do not ship out of state, only locally, which may be why some areas of western Pa. get it.

Unknown said...

Looking for cherikee red pop order on line

Unknown said...

Anyone

Johnny Goobatz said...

The distributor across the parking lot had it in the brown cardboard cases for cheaper than GE!!!

Anonymous said...

Where can I buy it, I'm in Youngstown, Ohio
Somewhere close?

Anonymous said...

Where in Uniontown, Pa? We haven’t had it in years and it was popular here.

Anonymous said...

I know I’ve been looking around for it in Northern Cambria, but I didn’t think the distributor had it. I’ll have to stop there and try to find it. Thanks for the tip