Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Random Thoughts and Rice Oriental Hamburger Helper

Even though I did not want to, I switched to Blogger Beta. While I enjoy some of the new features, such as labels at the end of each post, it does not seem to be interacting well with DCBlogs. If I post this at 10:00pm Eastern, it will show up on DCBlogs as 5:00pm Eastern. Is there a way to fix this?

Fafarazzi.com has been down all day, so I don’t know if there are still spaces available to join my Fantasy Celebrity League. When the site is working again, I’ll put an update at the bottom of this post.

Although it may not make a second season, The Knights of Prosperity has quickly become one of my favorite shows. What a funny show! I missed tonight’s episode because I was watching Pitt’s impressive win over West Virginia.

Finally, almost two years ago (when I spent a lot of time writing about Kevin Pittsnogle and Spring Break Shark Attack), I asked folks for help in finding the Rice Oriental variety of Hamburger Helper for my dad. Even today, I still receive regular hits from people searching for Rice Oriental Hamburger Helper. Therefore, I thought I would provide a list of places to get this nearly extinct product:

- http://specialty.generalmills.com/
- http://www.amazon.com/Hamburger-Helper-Oriental-7-3-Ounce-Boxes/dp/B000EFFTRA
- A grocery store in Skagway, Alaska.
- Food Lion in Reisterstown, Maryland

If you find other places, feel free to let me (and the world) know.

Update February 2008: I still receive numerous hits from people searching for Rice Oriental Hamburger Helper. Unfortunately, it seems like it is getting more and more difficult to find. People have started to vent on the Betty Crocker forum or click the General Mills Specialty site above and contact the company directly. Good luck with your search. If you find it somewhere, please tell us where you found it in the comments section.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can find the rice oriental at food lion in reisterstown, maryland

Messiah said...

I love that the label on this post says Rick Oriental.

Sean said...

Rick Oriental is a good guy!

(I think I'll have to change that to RICE Oriental.)

Anonymous said...

did they stop making it? and why? this stuff keep me alive because it was all we could afford growing up

Anonymous said...

i get so upset when i see hamburger helper on sale and i can't find the oriental rice hamburger. whats up with that!!!!!
richmond, va. HAVE YOU STOP MAKING IT!

Anonymous said...

What is with these companies?? You find a food you like,,, buy it for years and then, boom, gone. You cant say it didnt sell. The stores I shopped at were always selling out. Damn, I loved rice oriental

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for it for a while now. Since I couldn't find it I. Bought the Asian rice not even close - the smell is horrible I'm afraid to try it.

Anonymous said...

I use the Asian Helper Beef Fried Rice but I don't follow the recipe on the box. I use 2 1/4 cups of water, cooked beef, rice and the flavor packet (I sift out the dried veggies) only. Combine in a skillet. Simmer for 13-15 minutes, stiring occasionally, until the liquid is almost gone. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes. Now it Rice Oriental or the closest you'll come to the original. My kids claim it's the same.

Anonymous said...

http://www.change.org/petitions/betty-crocker-bring-back-rice-oriental#