Monday, June 01, 2009

Case of the Sundays

I was awake earlier Sunday than I am during the work week since I was scheduled to referee several adult co-ed soccer games. There were thunderstorms in the middle of the night, but the phone lines and websites of the referee assigner, soccer league and county all indicated that the field was open. So, of course, I arrive at the field around 7:35am only to find that it was unplayable and unsafe due to standing water throughout the field.

Since I was already awake and had a few hours to kill, I went to Wegmans...dressed in my soccer referee uniform.



(This is just some random picture I found from Google images; however, this is what the uniform looks like without that silly green thing on the guy's wrist. Plus, I have a little more hair than this guy.)

I received several strange looks (I think it was the high socks), but otherwise, it was quiet at the grocery store that early in the morning. However, at the register, the guy in front of me asked if my game got rained out. What I said was yes. What I wanted to say was no, I’m actually "refing" the game right now.

The guy ended up being cool, but by last night, I was exhausted. I fell asleep on the couch just after the Red Wings scored their 3rd goal and didn't wake up until there was 10 seconds left and for some reason, the Wings were on a 5-on-3 power play. (I later learned that I missed the Malkin-Zetterberg fight. By the way, is Zetterberg going to cover the puck in the crease during every game of this series? So far, he's 2 for 2.)

Now I wait and see if I receive any money for not working the soccer games.

No comments: