Monday, December 22, 2008

Vote Against Saban

I should have posted information about this earlier, but the Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year voting ends at midnight Eastern Time tonight. This award recognizes the college football coach in each NCAA division that best demonstrates sportsmanship, integrity, responsibility and excellence.

Please note the word integrity. The Division I coach currently leading in the voting is Nick Saban of the University of Alabama. When I think of integrity, I don’t think of Nick Saban. As the coach of the Miami Dolphins, he constantly denied the rumors of the Alabama job and even said, "I guess I have to say it. I'm not going to be the Alabama coach. ... I don't control what people say. I don't control what people put on dot-com or anything else. So I'm just telling you there's no significance, in my opinion, about this, about me, about any interest that I have in anything other than being the coach [in Miami]." Two weeks later, he left Miami.

Personally, I like Jim Tressel of Ohio State or Pat Fitzgerald of Northwestern. This may be the one case where I would write to vote for Joe Paterno over Saban. Actually, I take that back. You can’t be coach of the year when so many of your players get arrested. So vote for anyone besides Paterno and Saban.

For Division II, vote for Bill O’Boyle of Chadron State College. I know nothing about him, but I like the bald head/moustache look.

Once again, voting for the Coach of the Year ends tonight at midnight. Check out this website to vote or for more information.

No comments: