Monday, March 16, 2009

A Letter to 15 Seeds

Dear Robert Morris University, Binghamton University, Morgan State University and California State University Northridge:

First of all, congratulations on earning your spot in the NCAA Tournament. Each of you have had great seasons and deserve your spot in the field of 65. You may be wondering, well thanks random guy for the note, but who are you? Well, my name is Sean, and I am a college basketball fan as well as an amazing* blogger. Twice in my life, I have had the opportunity to attend the men’s NCAA tournament, first in 1997 and again in 2008. In 1997, I watched the #15 seed Coppin State University defeat the second-seeded University of South Carolina at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. Last year, I was present for the amazing game between #2 Duke University and #15 Belmont University at the Verizon Center in Washington. As a #15 seed, you may remember (or you're learning now about) the Duke-Belmont game and how Belmont could have, and arguably should have, pulled off an amazing upset. Was it a coincidence that at the two NCAA Tournament games I attended the #15 seed won and should have won on both occasions? I say no.

Therefore, I welcome you to invite me to your first round match. I believe that my track record as stated above proves that I can be of great assistance in watching your game live. All that I ask for is a flight from the Washington DC area to wherever your game takes place, two tickets for the games (please note that games are in plural for both of your first and second round matches), a hotel room near the arena, and a gracious per diem for food. In exchange, you’ll get a great good luck charm in me. Just think of all the exposure #15 seeds receive when they win an NCAA Tournament game. You’ll be on the front page of the ESPN and Yahoo Sports websites, be the lead on Sportscenter and be the talk around the water cooler for days and weeks to come. I think the benefit your team and school will receive will certainly outweigh the cost of paying for my trip.

Just so you know, I give priority to attending the Robert Morris game since they are a Pittsburgh area school and I have been on the campus and in Sewell Center. However, I will certainly consider offers from all for of you.

Good luck in the NCAA Tournament, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Sean



* at least in my mind

2 comments:

Nichole Fisher said...

I'm afraid that I cannot endorse your hope for Binghampton as they are playing my Blue Devils. I'm sure you understand. I'm totally with you on the other #15s though.

tecmo said...

awesome