Monday, May 12, 2014

2014 Pittsburgh Steelers Draft Recap

Let me preface this post by writing that if you're looking for an in-depth, analytical look at the 2014 Pittsburgh Steelers draft class, I suggest going to Behind the Steel Curtain or Steelers Depot for that. I have my own unique thoughts on draft recaps (see my posts about the 2012 and 2013 Pittsburgh Pirates drafts for example) THAT YOU WON'T READ ANYWHERE ELSE!

1st Round: Shabazz Napier - PG, UConn

Napier led UConn to the NCAA men's basketball championship this past season. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin stated that he liked Napier because of his speed and that he's a defensive playmaker. I completely agree though I think he's known more for his offense than his defense. Oops. The Steelers drafted Ryan Shazier, LB of Ohio State. Maybe Ryan Shazier and Shabazz Napier are cousins.

2nd Round: Stephon Tuitt - DE, Notre Dame

Ice Cube's You Can Do It must be the theme song for Tuitt. Yes, get your back or, um, butt, in to it. (Surprisingly, this video is SFW-ish as all of the bad words are removed. With that written, you may not want your boss seeing you watch this video.)



3nd Round: Dri Archer - RB, Kent State

I'm a big fan of Archer, though I'm not sure if he's going to be a good teammate. (Some bad words in the video below, so probably NSFW.)



4th Round: Martavis Bryant - WR, Clemson

He is already the most successful Martavis in Steelers history!

5th round: Shaquille Richardson - CB, Arizona

Richardson is listed at 6'0". If you're name is Shaquille, you should be at least 7'0".

5th round: Wesley Johnson - OL, Vanderbilt

Wesley Johnson played college basketball at Syracuse and currently plays for the Los Angeles Lakers. I think he's the first person to ever play for the Lakers and Steelers.

6th round: Jordan Zumwalt - LB, UCLA

When reading through the all-time Steelers roster, Amos Zereoue will no longer be listed last.

7th round: Daniel McCullers - DL, Tennessee

I should probably make a Crayola reference here.

7th round: Rob Blanchflower - TE, UMass

The Blanchflower family is less successful than its neighbors, the Mayflower family.

Undrafted free agent: Howard Jones - LB, Shepherd

Underrated 80s musician. Personally, my favorite Howard Jones songs are Things Can Only Get Better and Everlasting Love. No One Is To Blame for Jones not getting drafted.

No comments: