Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Toll Booth Bathroom Question (Trivia Tuesday)

Trivia Tuesday is taking a slightly different form today. There is something I have wondered about for years, and I hope that you can assist me in answering the question. There are hundreds if not thousands of toll booths throughout the country. For every major toll plaza area such Breezewood on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, there are smaller booths with only one or two attendants like those on the Dulles Toll Road or in New Jersey (I believe the Garden State Parkway, but I always get the New Jersey toll roads mixed up). For these smaller booths, where do the attendants go to use the bathroom? It's not like they can leave and use a McDonald's or Wendy's around the corner. (Or can they?) I don't recall seeing Port-a-Johns outside the booths either. Does anyone seem to know? I guess I could ask an attendant someday but I just drive right through now with my E-Z Pass.



In unrelated news, I am now officially on Twitter. As I mentioned previously, I have no idea how often I will post, but my guess is it will be rather infrequently. With that ringing endorsement, feel free to follow me at seansramblings.

7 comments:

Christine said...

Most toll booth areas have a main building and staff parking area off to the right. Pretty sure there's bathrooms in there for them, plus a place to take the $$ when they're done.

Anonymous said...

At remote ramps, there are two booths, each the same size. One contains the electronic equipment needed for processing, the other a bathroom.

Sean said...

Christine - That's definitely the case at the major toll plazas, but there are no main buildings and staff parking areas at the booths I wrote about.

Anonymous - You could be correct, but wouldn't both booths need equipment for processing? During rush hour, there is a person at both booths.

PhilCatelinet said...

I once had to get off the PA turnpike at one of the tiny toll plazas so my then-wife could use the bathroom. There was a public bathroom next to a small parking area just behind the toll booths. I'm sure the others are like that. Some toll booths aren't next to fast-food or shopping, so the turnpike staff would need to have facilities right there.

Sean said...

Thanks Phil. That makes sense for some stops at the PA Turnpike. If anyone has specific information about the Dulles Toll Road booths, I'd certainly like to know since there are no parking areas behind the toll booths. The cars there are parked directly behind the booths on the shoulder.

Jessye Lee said...

DABBL Brand is a world class manufacturer and suppliers of comfort and modern Shower Enclosures, Glass Shower Doors, Shower Cubicle, Screen etc. know more about how to make beautiful your bathroom today at export3@dabbl.de visit here DABBL Brand Bathroom Shower Enclosures, Glass Shower Doors

check that said...

Nice blog.