Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Freaking Daughtry

Ten years ago this summer, my brother and I took a 4,000-mile road trip across the eastern half of the United States. When we were not listening to tapes (the car did not have a CD player; it was 1997, so there were no iPods yet either), we scanned radio stations to try and find good music. We even tracked the songs we heard the most over the month-long trip. In case you were wondering, “The Freshmen” by The Verve Pipe, Hanson’s “MMMBop” and “Everyday is a Winding Road” by Sheryl Crow were the top three songs.

Anyway, during the past weekend, we drove about 13 hours, and while we listened to a few CDs, we switched to the radio for much of the way. Although I did not keep track of songs we heard on the radio this trip, Daughtry was the clear winner. Every time we hit the scan button, “It’s Not Over” or “Home” came through the speakers. I was indifferent about Daughtry before this weekend; now, I can’t stand him. I started swearing each time one of the songs played and quickly turned the station. Unfortunately, he would not go away. Daughtry was in Binghamton, Scranton, Moosic, Harrisburg, Northern Virginia and everywhere in between. I’m just grateful that Daughtry did not become the lead singer of Fuel as was rumored last year after Brett Scallions left the band. “Shimmer” and "Hemorrage (In My Hands)" are great songs; it would have been too bad if I had to start hating them because of Daughtry.

The sooner Daughtry becomes Bo Bice (meaning out sight and off the radio), the better.

UPDATE 6/5/07 @ 11:59pm I left a very long comment in response to the other comments. I also apologize for including Bo Bice in my Daughtry rant. At this time of night, I can't think of anyone to substitute in place of Bice.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why does it concern you how successful Daughtry is? You like him, or you don't. If you can't stand him, too fucking bad. What a sad life you must live to not want someone to have success.

Anonymous said...

If you got as far as Scranton, did you stop by Starlight? I would love to go back there some day (although I hear the camp is falling apart and BBYO may not continue there after too much longer). I can't believe the road trip where you and Nick stopped and visited me in Starlight was 10 years ago...

Did you know Perlman is actually no longer in Starlight? They changed the zip codes around there or something, so now it is in Lake Como, PA. That's seriously so sad.

Anonymous said...

Ah, come on. Bice is not that bad. Big Daddy Clive just gave him the shaft.

Anonymous said...

I seem to recall some additional songs from that road trip, which include:

All for you - Sister Hazel
Bitch - Meredith Brooks
Don't Speak - No doubt

and of course...

Battle of who could care less - Ben Folds Five

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that Hootie and the Blowfish had a cameo that year too.

Sean said...

I attend the Nationals-Pirates game and come back to 5 comments! Where to start?

#1 - You're right. I never realized it until you wrote it, but I indeed live a sad life. I guess I can turn to Daughtry to cheer me up. I honestly could care less if Daughtry is successful or not. If he is, I hope he uses some of his fame to help people or give back to charity. Even though you did not write this, maybe my "rambling" should have focused more on radio stations and how music gets popular instead of Daughtry. I mean, Paul McCartney is currently on the Home Shopping Network and his CDs are being sold on Starbucks.

Amy - I can't believe it's been 10 years either. Starlight was a bit out of the way for this trip.

#3 - You're right. I should not have included Bo Bice into the conversation. If Bo Bice knocked on my door, I wouldn't know who he is. Plus I would be freaked out if someone was knocking on my door at midnight. His one song (Real Thing?) isn't bad.

#4 (Probably my brother) - I think Sister Hazel definitely finished in the Top 3 ahead of Sheryl Crow. However, I think "Don't Speak" and Hootie were more 1996, not our 1997 road trip.

Anonymous said...

hmmm... these google alerts on DAUGHTRY are just giving us everything, including people's opinions. Nothing against you disliking Daughtry, but your attitude isn't really acceptable. Are you jealous of his success? Sure is what it sounds like. I don't mean to intrude... carry on with the Daughtry hating. It's fine. Obviously your disease doesn't tend to be contageous, or the success wouldn't have gone this far already. ;]

Sean said...

To all the Daughtry lovers out there, I'm done. I just wanted to share my frustration with the fact that one of his songs was always on the radio during my weekend road trip. That's all. My "disease" was more about the overexposure than Daughtry himself. Again, I really could care less if Daughtry is successful or not. Obviously, he has had a great 2007.

Anonymous said...

Yikes - got some interesting posts here. You can definitely tell when there are people who don't regularly read your blog. I also find it funny that they tell you your opinion is unacceptable, but then give you theirs...

Sean said...

Thanks Christine! I appreciate your comment.