Monday, January 25, 2010

Book Suggestions Requested

Over the weekend, I installed a new feature on the right column* to share what I’m currently reading. This is something that Dan has had on his blog for years, and I am stealing/borrowing this from him. The reason that I’m adding this now is because I read a lot during my commute to and from work. With the recent move, my commute is slightly longer but where I had to drive during part of my commute previously (where reading is frowned on), my new trip is entirely on the bus and Metro. That means even more time for reading.

So I’m asking for suggestions on what to read. They can be new books or classics. In case you’re wondering, here are books/authors that I’ve recently read or are on my hold list at the library:

The Beckham Experiment by Grant Wahl
Malcolm Gladwell
Chuck Klosterman
Daniel Silva
Assassination Vacation by Sarah Vowell
Nick Hornby
Jon Krakauer's book about Pat Tillman

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!


* Despite having a blog for five years now, I’m still not very good with the HTML so please excuse the fact that part of the book cover is missing.


UPDATE: I figured that I would compile a list of books I read and featured in What I'm Reading.

- The Financial Lives of Poets by Jess Walter

- Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer

- The English Assassin by Daniel Silva

- Rules of Prey by John Sandford

- The Partly Cloudy Patriot by Sarah Vowell

- Eating the Dinosaur by Chuck Klosterman

- Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

- The Confessor by Daniel Silva

- What the Dog Saw and Other Adventures - Malcolm Gladwell

- A Safe Haven: Harry S. Truman and the Founding of Israel by Allis Radosh and Ronald Radosh

- The Game From Where I Stand by Doug Glanville

- Talking to Girls About Duran Duran: One Young Man's Quest for True Love and a Cooler Haircut by Rob Sheffield

- To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

- The Ones Who Hit the Hardest: The Steelers, the Cowboys, the '70s, and the Fight for America's Soul by Chad Millman & Shawn Coyne

7 comments:

Brendon said...

I'm currently reading Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and so far I love it. I'm only about half way through, though.

Gilahi said...

I didn't think that "Assassination Vacation" was up to Ms. Vowell's usual superior standards. Anything by Malcolm Gladwell or Chuck Klosterman is worth the read, though.

Krista said...

Re the HTML. Try adding a width attribute after the image call.

replace

"http://www.jesswalter.com/images/jesswalter-330-Poets_pic.jpg" />

with

"http://www.jesswalter.com/images/jesswalter-330-Poets_pic.jpg" width="150"/>


as for books, have you read anything by Frank Deford?

Sean said...

Hand of Godard - That's a great book. I highly recommend any Krakauer and am looking forward to read the Pat Tillman book soon.

Gilahi - So I take it I should read other books by Vowell?

Krista - Thanks for the HTML code. I think it looks much better now. I haven't read any books by Deford, but I'll take a look to see what's out there.

Any other suggestions?

Gilahi said...

I haven't read all of Sarah Vowell's books, but I've enjoyed the ones I have read. "Assassination Vacation" isn't bad, and it's an easy read that's got some interesting trivial facts that a trivia buff like you will enjoy, I just didn't think it was as humorous as some of her earlier books. It' still worth reading.

Sean said...

Thanks Gilahi. I'll add Vowell's other books to my list.

Joey Porter’s Pit Bulls said...

"Freaky Deaky" by Elmore Leonard.

"The World at Night" by Alan Furst.