Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Road Trip Recap

After driving 1345 miles and visiting 6 states over a 107-hour period, I’m back home. Hockey Road Trip 2006 was a huge success as we attended three games in four cities and were able to see friends and family at each stop. Here are some notes from the trip:

In case you were wondering, the Penguins defeated the Islanders 7-4 on Friday night, the Senators won 3-1 at Buffalo on Saturday and the Blue Jackets upset the Red Wings (in a battle of colors) 4-3 last night.

I haven’t shaved since Friday morning, which is probably the longest stretch I have gone without shaving since college. I’m thinking about growing a beard again (which I have not done since college).

If you’re in Buffalo, I highly recommend the Pearl Street Grill and Brewery. Not only are the food and beer (especially the amber beer "Trainwreck") delicious and the atmosphere great, apparently, it is the ONLY restaurant in Buffalo (we ate there on both Saturday and Sunday evenings).

Metallica, Green Day and Adam Sandler’s Hanukkah song seemed to be popular choices by bars, radio stations and arenas. In a related note, I have now lit the menorah (but not with the late Dinah Shore-ah) in four different states (Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio and Virginia).

Thank you to the fine folks at Nationwide Arena in Columbus for not having the "Kiss Cam" which was featured in both Buffalo and Pittsburgh.

I was briefly embarrassed being a Pittsburgher on Friday when Penguins fans started the wave at the Civic Arena.

When did West Virginia change their motto on the signs when you enter the state? I like "Welcome to Wild and Wonderful West Virginia" infinitely more than "West Virginia Open for Business."

There is so much more from the trip that I’m missing, but I’m a little tired. It could be rough going back to work tomorrow. If I’m dragging I can think about planning for Hockey Road Trip 2007. The early candidates are Chicago-Detroit or Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto.

More tomorrow...

No comments: