Friday, November 10, 2006

I Am An IDIOT

I may have done the dumbest thing ever in my life today. In fact, they should feature me in a commercial where I would get hit in the head by a Vonage box with the tag line "one smart decision among many, many stupid ones." I was on the Pennsylvania Turnpike less than 50 miles to Pittsburgh and 3.5 hours into my drive when I realized that I LEFT THE TICKETS TO THE STEELERS GAME IN MY KITCHEN IN VIRGINIA! My only thought was that #(&%, I'm going to have to turn around and drive back to Virginia. Of course, being on the PA Turnpike, I had to drive another 15 miles to actually get to an exit.

When I reached the exit, the phone calls began. I called my parents, who suggested that I call the Steelers. Fortunately, Joey Porter was not answering the phones. The ticket office asked if I was a season ticket-holder. Nope. However, the tickets were from a season ticket-holder. (Specifically, the tickets were a gift and came from a season ticket-holder. Does that make sense?) After about a dozen phone calls, the season ticket-holder (how many times can I use this phrase in a paragraph?) contacted the Steelers and I am OK. I have to go to a specific ticket window at Heinz Field, pay for the tickets, and when I get home, I will mail the original tickets for a refund.

The morale of the story is that I made a dumb move, but things will be OK. At least I realized the tickets were in Virginia today and not on Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - glad it all worked out - I probably would have said a lot more than #)&% !! Hope you enjoy the game Sunday!

Sean said...

After the initial reaction that I left the tickets at home, I was surprisingly calm. I guess that happens with the realization that I screwed up badly and it was my responsibility to try and make things right (which in my mind was that I would be driving an extra 7-8 hours). Just for all this, the Steelers better win on Sunday.

It would also be nice if Ithaca and beat Cortland today in the Cortaca Jug game!

Andy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andy said...

Man, this story was a nail biter! But, I'm glad that it all worked out. And, seeing that I just checked the score and it looks as though the Steelers will hang on for a victory, all the better. (I hope that I didn't just jinx things.)

BTW, despite what Vonage says, getting Vonage is among one of the stupidest things I've done. The service never worked well for us, and a few weeks ago we dumped it for Verizon.

Sorry we missed you an Pam this weekend! We'll be back soon enough, I'm sure.