Thursday, October 20, 2011

Interview with Sarah Wendell, Author & Mullet Aficionado

Sarah Wendell runs the extremely popular blog Smart Bitches, Trashy Books and recently released her second book Everything I Know about Love, I Learned from Romance Novels available now in bookstores and online including at Amazon.com where the novel reached #2 in Movements & Periods. Yes, you can read the end of that last sentence again and pretend like you’re 12.

Anyway, Sarah has been making the rounds promoting her book by appearing on the Gayle King Show, in USA Today and at numerous book signings. Sarah is also a friend who was nice enough to take time out of her extremely busy schedule to answer some silly (or perhaps brilliant!) questions. Seriously, did Gayle King ask Sarah about Jaromir Jagr's mullet? I think not!



Is the title of your new book, Everything I Know about Love I Learned from Romance Novels, a critique or criticism of the American educational system? (I'm kidding unless you'd like to answer it.)

You know, I hadn't thought of it that way, but romance novels would be a solid addition to any high school curriculum. For one thing, there's a much more accurate portrayal of human sexuality. Plus it would make those with mullets feel like heroes, and everyone deserves to feel like a hero. Especially with a mullet.

So give us an overview of your new book.

Everything I Know About Love, I Learned from Romance reveals the secrets romance readers and writers have known for awhile: that happy endings are possible, and that everyone deserves to be the hero or heroine of their own life. Romance novels, far from being monotonous expressions of love, passion, and questionable weather patterns, are actually a sort of road map of what to do and what not to do in real life relationships.

An excerpt of your book states that “there is a 95 percent chance that a romance novel cover will feature a mullet.” Are mullets still prevalent in today’s romance novels? Is Jaromir Jagr somehow involved in this?

Mullets are indeed still part of romance culture, particularly in the historical cover art. I do not understand this, but I have accepted it. I think Jagr might indeed be involved, though now that I'm attempting to have moves like him (That IS what the song is about, right?) I can't be sure.



As a fairly new parent, I’ve found that I don’t have nearly as much time as I’d like to write my blog. How are you able to maintain an extremely success blog and write a book all while being a mother?

I don't sleep a lot. I also make sure to pre-schedule content to go live on days where I am busy. And most importantly: the entries you spend the most amount of time on seem to gather the least commentary, while the ones you wrote quickly and posted will ignite a fascinating discussion. That takes a little pressure off me, when I feel overwhelmed.

You are a graduate of the high school that now boasts two of the biggest stars currently in hip-hop (Wiz Khalifa & Mac Miller). How did you contribute to this success?

I thought it was you who snuck in and left the magical funky dust in the hallways. Despite going to a different high school, clearly they were influenced by your proximity. You have way better moves like Jagr than I do!

I apologize for asking this question since I’m sure that you’re tired of constantly answering this throughout all of the interviews for your new book. Is 2012 the year the Pirates finally reach .500?

You mean they didn't? I maintain an elaborate fantasy that they're in the World Series this year. And when that grows too much to sustain on a functional level, I absolutely believe that 2012 will be the year they reach .500, and get to the NLCS.


Thanks again to Sarah for agreeing to answer these questions and for putting up with me referring to her as a mullet aficionado! I definitely encourage you to check out her new book and/or consider buying a copy as a holiday gift.

No comments: