Monday, January 22, 2007

New Steelers Coach

Thanks to Dan of DanNation for reminding everyone that I was actually correct. A few weeks ago, I predicted that the Pittsburgh Steelers would hire someone from outside of the organization as their next head coach. That someone turns out to be Mike Tomlin, the former defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings. The more I learn about Tomlin, the more I like him. Mondesi's House wrote a great analysis of the Tomlin selection (take a look at the Tomlin/Russ Grimm pictures). Just a few days ago, Bill Simmons presented a terrific column about the success of younger coaches in the NFL. They are hungry and want to prove themselves. The best quote I saw about Tomlin is from the Post-Gazette's Blog 'N' Gold where Jim Duffy of Milwaukee wrote, "As a Steeler fan living in Packer/Viking country, I can tell you there are a lot of happy Packer fans and many more unhappy Viking fans here today. That should tell you something."

Tomlin's decision to keep Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator is brilliant. Not only does LeBeau keep continuity within the Steelers coaching staff and players, but LeBeau and Tomlin together should create a fun defense.

Now let's see if my prediction of the Cleveland Browns hiring Bill Cowher next turns out to be right.

No comments: