Friday, March 30, 2012

I Don’t Want To Win The Lottery

The estimated jackpot for tonight’s Mega Millions is approximately $540 million. That’s a new record breaking the previous record amount of $954 from the Saved by the Bell high school’s 50/50 raffle/bake sale. Despite the odds of winning the jackpot at about one in 176 million, naturally, I decided to play. I mean having a few hundred million dollars around would be nice.



However, I’ve come to the realization that I don't want to win. I probably couldn't handle the media coverage surrounding me and my family after winning the largest jackpot in lottery history. People would come out of the woodwork asking for handouts. Plus, I’m sure someone will leak the fact that this blog exists to some news station or blog. Seeing my TMI Thursday posts in the news doesn’t seem like fun.

Therefore, even though I purchased $5 in tickets, I hope that I don’t win the jackpot. I do hope that I hit 5 of the 6 numbers and win $250K (I think). That would be nice.

3 comments:

lacochran's evil twin said...

No worries, friend. If you win the jackpot, I'll relieve you of the pressure/decisions by taking the money off your hands.

That's what friends are for.

Marie said...

I think most people will have had the "If I win the Lottery" conversation at some point, whether or not they ever actually buy tickets, but I don't think they ever consider the realities of that much money. Fine, you may never have financial concerns again, so long as you're sensible, but you'll have a whole raft of new concerns to contend with. Begging letters, emotional blackmail, new-found friends who you're sure you've never seen before in your life are just some of the things that spring to mind.

Don't get me wrong, I can think of uses for the money. I'd pay off my mortgage tomorrow if I had the option, and I'd dearly love to buy up all the empty shops in our town and actually make the rents affordable. I've had enough of seeing small businesses have to move away from the town or go under just because our council's being greedy. I'm guessing there'd be a few legal issues with that though.

But before I did anything else, I hope that I'd have the sense to figure out what sum of money could guarantee me financial security for the rest of my life, and then put that in the bank and leave it alone. That way, I'd have something to fall back on if I somehow managed to blow the rest of the winnings.

But to be honest, I agree with you. I'd like to win a comparatively small amount. Not enough to allow me an absolutely ridiculous lifestyle, just enough to make a difference.

Sean said...

lacochran - I'm sure you saw all of the news coverage over the Maryland mess regarding a winning lottery ticket. I'm not sure I would want that attention even with the money.

Marie - Some excellent points even though a random link wasn't necessary.