Monday, July 28, 2008

Best Summer Song List

Two of the biggest hits this week (according to VH1) are New Kids on the Block’s Summertime (yes, we are in 2008) and Kid Rock’s All Summer Long (a song where Kid Rock ripped off, er, "sampled" Werewolves of London AND Sweet Home Alabama). Apparently inspired by these titles, I decided to rank the greatest songs with summer in the title.

10. In the Summertime – Mungo Jerry

My favorite band/artist with Mungo in its name.

9. Cruel Summer – Bananarama

You can’t make any type of music list without including Bananarama.

8. Summer Breeze - Seals & Crofts

7. Summertime – Sublime

6. Summertime Blues – The Who

5. School's Out for Summer - Alice Cooper

I gave Alice Cooper’s song the nod over The Who simply because it was featured in Dazed and Confused.

4. Summer in the City - Lovin' Spoonful

3. Boys of Summer – Don Henley (later redone by The Ataris)

2. Summer of ‘69 – Bryan Adams

One of PittGirl’s favorites

1. Summertime – DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince



Perhaps I have memories of this song being played at every camp dance or it simply came out during my formative years. Regardless, I will crank up the radio when this song is played.

So what do you think? Are there songs that I’m missing that you would include? Feel free to include your own rankings in the comments.

6 comments:

Messiah said...

That's really weird. I heard that Kid Rock song for the very first time over the weekend. It came on and I thought it was Werewolves of London, then I thought, "Oh. I guess this is some extended version of Sweet Home Alabama." Then it was some shitty talking song about listening to Sweet Home Alabama while sitting in Michigan. I'm glad it was Kid Rock and not, as I presumed, Uncle Kracker. Does he actually mention Werewolves in the song?

Oh, and the Sublime one is actually called "Doin' Time", so it may have to be disqualified from your list.

Gilahi said...

What about the original version of "Summertime Blues" by Eddie Cochran? Or "Summertime" by Janis Joplin? "Summer Nights" by Marianne Faithfull? "Summer Rain" by Johnny Rivers? "Summer Song" by Chad & Jeremy? "Summertime, Summertime" by The Jamies? Am I really this old?

Andy said...

Sean - I appreciate your sarcasm regarding the Kid Rock song. Although I concede it is kinda catchy (probably because it rips off two GOOD songs), I hate it because it's nothing more than shallow, commercially produced, cliched tripe deliberately constructed to BE the perfect summer song. This is why I can't stand Top 40 radio!

Sean said...

Messiah - Uncle Kracker will never make any music list I ever create unless there's a list for #1 jerk. Maybe I'll write about it someday. Anyway, is the Sublime song really titled Doin' Time?

Gilahi - I actually wasn't sure who performed the original Summertime Blues. I guess I should amend it to The Who / Eddie Cochran. As for whether or not you are old, do you feel better that I included Mungo Jerry and Lovin' Spoonful?

Andy - The funny thing is that I generally like Kid Rock and am amazed that he would blatantly use the music of two classic songs. I guess money trumped everything. Maybe he's taking advice from his friend Uncle Kracker.

Gilahi said...

Sean - Yeah, thanks for including those two. My wife hates that Mungo Jerry song, and I really just can't figure out why.

Anonymous said...

Im down with Will Smith at #1. Summertime by Backstreet Boys? Throw that LP away please!!!!