Monday, March 10, 2008

Random Thoughts

I love attending the Pittsburgh Penguins-Washington Capitals games in DC. Even though the Caps are the home team and play in their home arena, the game seems as close to a neutral site as you will find because of the even amount of fans supporting each team. I’ve probably attended at least six of these games over the past few years and I think that the Penguins have emerged victorious every time. You couldn’t have asked for a better game on Sunday as Sidney Crosby scored the game-winning goal with 30 seconds remaining** to give the Penguins a 4-2 victory (Jordan Staal added an empty net goal). Much more on this game at The Pensblog, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (here and here) and The Washington Post.

- Can I blame Metro or Maryland’s transportation department for signage around the Forest Glen Metro Station? Taking the Beltway to the Georgia Avenue, there is a sign letting you know to turn left, or take Georgia Avenue South, to get to the Metro. After driving about a half-mile, there is another Metro sign with an arrow pointing ahead. The only Metro station that way is the Silver Spring station which is more than two miles down Georgia Avenue and then you would turn on to Colesville Road. If you ignore the original Metro sign and turn right on Georgia Avenue, the Forest Glen station is at the second light.

- Who would have thought that 15 years after The Cosby Show ended Raven-Symoné would be the cast member with the most successful career?

- What to watch tonight: The Colonial Athletic Association men’s basketball championship between George Mason and William & Mary at 7:00pm on ESPN. I would love to see Folarin Campbell and Will Thomas make the NCAA Tournament again in their senior seasons. Go Mason!

- The best man speech was a huge success. At least I count it as a huge success since I didn’t embarrass myself and everyone is still talking to me. I’ll have more about the wedding including the speech transcript tomorrow.



** I just watched the highlights of the Pens-Caps game and learned only now that Nicklas Backstrom of the Caps actually shot the puck into his own net to give the Penguins the win. From Section 430, we thought that Pascal Dupuis scored the winning goal and was surprised that Crosby got credit for the goal. We figured that maybe Crosby shot the puck and it deflected off of a Capitals player. Apparently it was all Backstrom. When I thought Dupuis scored, I told my friends that the Dupuis and Hossa for Armstrong and Christensen trade was the greatest deal in Penguins history. I might have exaggerated a little.

2 comments:

Archi said...

I'm far from a hockey expert, but isn't the Ron Francis + Ulf acquisition almost untouchable in Pens' lore?

Sean said...

Yes, you are correct. The Francis and Ulf trade which sent one of my favorite players, John Cullen, to Hartford is the greatest trade in Pens history.