Monday, August 13, 2007

Damn You Chuck Klosterman

A few weeks ago, I was planning on sharing my thoughts on the classic single, “Bust a Move” by Young MC, but I thought I would wait until a better time. While I was going to write about the fact that I love this song (it was huge when I was in junior high), there was one specific part that has bothered me for some time now. However, in Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas (the book I just finished), Klosterman wrote what I have been thinking about:

“Bust a Move is confusing for the following reason: The last verse states, ‘Your best friend Harry / Has a brother Larry / In five days from now he’s gonna marry / He’s hopin’ you can make it there if you can / Cuz in the ceremony you’ll be the best man.’ Now, why would anybody possibly be the best man in a wedding where the groom is your best friend’s brother? Why isn’t your best friend the best man in this ceremony?”

Did he plagiarize my thoughts? I doubt it (I don't think we have the same mind connection as Harry Potter and Lord Voldermort did), but I’d still like to give myself credit for this observation.

No comments: