Thursday, June 04, 2015

Found In My Basement: Rusted Root T-Shirt

I did a little spring cleaning recently and managed to compile a complete bag full of clothes to donate. I also found dozens of clothes, particularly T-shirts, that I'm not willing to give up. Occasionally throughout the summer, I plan on sharing pictures of some of these clothes. (I'm sure that you can't wait for this!)

First up is this Rusted Root T-shirt from a concert I saw on some mountain or ski slope around State College, PA in the fall of 1995. I don't remember much (if anything) about the concert except that everyone sat on the grass/blankets on a fairly steep hill.


For those of you not familiar with Rusted Root, well, shame on you. They were by far the biggest band in Western Pennsylvania in the mid-1990s. They were huge among the high school and college scene, and at least to me, were right there with the Dave Matthews Band. Although the band sold over 3 million records (albums? cassettes?), they never seemed to hit the mainstream unless you count Send Me On My Way being played in Enterprise car rental commercials.



Rusted Root still tours and were actually at Washington DC's 9:30 Club on Wednesday night. My guess is that they're not selling this T-shirt at the show.


Bonus Fun Fact #1: Despite growing up in Pittsburgh during the height of Rusted Root, I never actually saw them perform in Pittsburgh. I saw them at State College, Ithaca & at the Celebrate Fairfax festival in 2010.

Bonus Fun fact #2: The father of one of the band members officiated my wedding.


Click here to see more in the Found in My Basement Series.

4 comments:

Marc said...

I am pretty sure I was at that concert too!

Ngewo said...

Tussy Mountain?

I remember that concert, I feel like everyone in my school went, minus me.

Sean said...

Marc - Did we ever hang out the few times I visited Penn State in Fall 1995? I'm not sure we did. Sorry.

Josh - Fussy Mountain sounds a little familiar. That was probably it.

Sean said...

Or Tussy Mountain. (Thanks spell check.)