Monday, June 14, 2010

Celebrate Fairfax 2010 Highlights

How do you eat funnel cake, pizza, quesadillas, brownies, kettle corn, a gyro, many varieties of chips/salty snacks and drink significantly more pop (or soda as some of you call the carbonated beverage) than usual and still manage to lose a few pounds? Volunteer at the Celebrate Fairfax festival for an entire weekend! I spent approximately 42 hours over the past three days walking dozens of miles, lifting stuff, putting up and taking down tent sidewalls and talking a lot (does this help with weight loss?).



Here are some brief notables from this year’s festival:

- KC of KC & the Sunshine Band proclaimed that he was your mom’s Justin Timberlake. Somewhere, David Cassidy and Leif Garrett disagree.

- KC also requested coffee.

- Like more behind the scenes stuff? The girlfriend of one of the headline performers brought a dog, but apparently did not have a leash. Several staff members scrambled to find a dog leash.

- After signing autographs, Washington Redskin DeAngelo Hall got a rendering of himself done by a caricature artist.

- I saw Rusted Root play for the first time in 15 years. They still sound great. I really need to break out my Rusted Root cassettes and play them again. Yes, cassettes and not CDs.

- Upon arriving home on Saturday night/Sunday morning, I sat on the couch to check e-mail and my fantasy baseball team. I promptly fell asleep, woke up about two hours later, and then spent the next 30 minutes trying to find the energy to go upstairs while continuing to doze off.

As usual, I really enjoyed the event and look forward to volunteering and seeing everyone again next year. Unfortunately, it may take me a few more days to recover and catch up on sleep!


Photo by Matt.

No comments: