Monday, July 23, 2012

Found In My Basement: Bought From An Infomercial

I was recently in a room where a significant event occurred. It was not at the Supreme Court for their ruling on Obamacare or at PNC Park where the Pirates swept the Marlins to go to 14 games over .500. This was much bigger. My friends watched an infomercial and proceeded to buy a vacuum cleaner by calling the number on the television screen. Plus, simply for purchasing the vacuum that day, the company also threw in a steam mop. The same vacuum was being sold on Amazon for about the same price and had excellent reviews, so I feel that due diligence was done before making this big decision. In addition, the infomercial deal included a 10-year warranty (and the steam mop) which Amazon did not.

I was impressed by my friends in purchasing something from an Infomercial since I didn’t think I knew anyone that did this. It turns out that I knew someone very well that bought something from an Infomercial…me. Sometime during or after college, I bought the two cassette tapes of Totally ‘80s and found tape #1 in the basement. (I have no idea where tape #2 is).


In case you’re wondering, here are the songs on Totally ‘80s Tape #1:

Side A
Take On Me – a-ha
Hot Hot Hot – Buster Poindexter
Caribbean Queen (No More Love On The Run) – Billy Ocean
Walk Like An Egyptian – The Bangles
Who Can It Be Now? – Men At Work
Addicted To Love – Robert Palmer
Karma Chameleon – Culture Club
Jump (For My Love) – The Pointer Sisters
Wild Thing – Tone Loc
Everybody Have Fun Tonight – Wang Chung

Side B
Walking On Sunshine – Katrina and The Waves
Jessie’s Girl – Rick Springfield
The Heat Is On – Glenn Frey
Wild, Wild West – The Escape Club
Heaven Is A Place On Earth – Belinda Carlisle
She Works Hard For The Money – Donna Summer
(There’s) Always Something There To Remind Me – Naked Eyes
Too Shy – Kajagoogoo
Missing You – John Waite
Sexual Healing – Marvin Gaye

It seems odd seeing Donna Summer and Marvin Gaye songs on an ‘80s tape.

Anyway, have you ever purchased anything from an Infomercial?


In addition, please feel free to click here for more in the Found In My Basement series.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I have never purchased anything from an Infomercial. But seeing Totally 80s reminds me of an infomercial from the mid-nineties for the CD compilation Living in the 90s. Looking back, I've always felt like the release of that album was the moment where we all began to be nostalgic for pop culture as it happened. I'm pretty sure Living in the 90s begat I Love the 00's and pretty much Hal Sparks & Michael Ian Black's careers. (Indirect Zoltan reference. BOOM!)