Thursday, November 13, 2008

More Random Ramblings

I was the referee for a soccer game on Sunday that featured a predominantly Spanish speaking team. At one point, a player on the opposing team came up to me and said, "You know they are swearing in Spanish, right?" (Swearing can get a player a red card.) Um, no. Apparently, several players said "puta" during the game, which I now know means bitch. That seems like a very odd expression to say when your shot badly misses the goal. Perhaps son of a bitch, but just bitch doesn’t seem to fit. Regardless, my New Year’s resolution will be to learn Spanish swear words and the appropriate expression to tell the players that I know what they’re saying so knock it off.



I’m a little late in writing about this but Tuesday night’s Pittsburgh Penguins-Detroit Red Wings game was amazing. It's only November but the 7-6 overtime win will be the game of the year. I know there has been a lot of discussion about what to do with Jordan Staal, but if the Penguins are able to keep him at a reasonable price that fits under the salary cap, I think you have to do it. He’s only 20 years old! Of course, if he wants at least $5 million per year as has been reported, I don’t think that will be possible. The Pensblog and Empty Netters have much more about the game and the Penguins in general.

I watched exactly two minutes of the CMA Awards last night, but it was enough to see Lady Antebellum win the best new artist award. I actually heard of them since they performed prior to the Browns-Steelers game last year. I also saw Povertyneck Hillbillies perform at a Steelers game, so if they ever get back together, I’m sure they’ll win some type of CMA award.

My favorite Smithsonian museum, the National Museum of American History, is reopening next week!

Finally, congratulations to Arjewtino for getting interviewed by Washingtonian. Unfortunately, I was too late in reading the interview:

Washingtonian: Tips for starting a blog that’s not really about anything:
Arjewtino: (1) Don’t write about your cat.

D'oh!

No comments: