Wednesday, October 21, 2020

No More Crib

For nearly all of the last 9 years, 6 months, and 3 weeks (or so), the crib in our home has been used by one of our boys. The Moose stayed in it until he was almost 3, but with his younger brother set to arrive, we transferred him to a "big boy" bed. Sure, we made it sound like he was growing up and talked up moving to a bed, but we really kicked him out so that the newborn could sleep in the crib. Of course, we moved him a few months before Pedro Tulo arrived since you can't just have one kid in the crib on Sunday and then have another kid in there on Monday, Tuesday, or even Wednesday. That's a great way to have the older sibling resent the new sibling immediately. We got bunk beds for the boys not long after Pedro Tulo turned 3 in preparation for Luigi to get the crib. And now, Luigi is in his own bed.


So how did this happen? I mean, I guess Luigi turned 3 recently, so it's about that time. Luigi's bedroom has a crib and what was originally The Moose's twin bed. When I put him to bed recently, he said that he wanted to sleep in the bed. He was in mid-tantrum when I originally said no, but when I said I would discuss this with his mom and maybe he could switch over the weekend, he was perfectly fine with the explanation. This is the same kid who had a 15-minute meltdown on Tuesday morning because I raced outside to take a trash bag out before the garbage truck arrived, and he wanted to help. Reasonable and 3 year old usually don't go together in the same sentence! (Unless it's something like my 3 year old is not being reasonable.) So on Saturday night, it finally happened.

Over the last few weeks, Luigi has wanted me to stay in his room as he went to sleep. My other kids had phases of this too. I've actually welcomed this as I end up taking a power nap as he falls asleep. On Saturday, he went into his bed around 8:30, and I stayed in his room on the floor. About 40 minutes in, he was still wide awake. Luigi seemed to like being able to go in and out of his bed. Meanwhile, I dozed off on the floor only to wake up thanks to him dropping stuffed animals on me from the bed. I tagged out after about 50 minutes and mom went in. 5 minutes later, he was asleep. Or not. After she closed his door, he opened it, walked out of his room and into our bedroom.

We got him back into his room, but the going to sleep part still didn't happen...until close to 10:30. And even then, I have no idea how his feet hanging over the rail was comfortable.


Fortunately, Luigi went down fairly quickly the last few nights. While he seems to like the bed, Ziggy loves the bed. I mean, the bed hasn't moved in three years, yet with sheets and someone sleeping there, that's become his go to sleeping spot during the day.


Update: I finished drafting this blog post on Tuesday evening after Luigi went to sleep. At about 2:30 on Wednesday morning, he woke up, left his room, and climbed up into our bed with two toy cars. While he slept fairly well after that, I did not!

No comments: