Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Vote Against Tom Wilson

I generally don’t write much about politics on this blog. I mean, sure I looked into starting an exploratory committee to run for the President in 2020, criticized Donald Trump for calling Eat ‘N Park by the wrong name, and questioned Sarah Palin’s allegiance to any particular NFL team, but I prefer writing about many other topics. However, I saw these campaign signs driving around Northern Virginia, and, well, let’s see if you have the same reaction as me.


Tom Wilson for school board? TOM WILSON FOR SCHOOL BOARD? Look, I understand that he has name recognition. Being a professional hockey player on the Washington Capitals and winning the Stanley Cup with them is going to garner a lot of positive support in community. But why school board? What experience does he have with American public schools? I mean, he was born in Toronto, didn’t go to college (not a requirement for school board, but it seems like you want someone with some college on their resume in this position) and has only lived in the United States for the last 6 or 7 years. During this time, has he become familiar with the Fairfax County Public School ("FCPS") district, only one of the 15 largest public school systems in the United States? It seems like he’s spent most of the time figuring out the best way to injure his opponents. To be fair, maybe he has spent significant time learning about FCPS and American school systems during all of the time away from ice rinks during suspensions.


Based on his character alone, I will not vote for Tom Wilson. Granted, I don't live in his district, but I will do everything I can to support his opponent, whoever that may be. Go Pens!


So, um, it turns out the Tom Wilson on the Tom Wilson for School Board Facebook page (per the picture above) looks a little different than the hockey player. In addition, he's already on the FCPS school board and is running for reelection. I'm starting to think that maybe it's not the same Tom Wilson. In that case, please disregard what I just wrote.

No comments: