Monday, September 17, 2018

Mac Miller 1992-2018

(Please note that the videos in this post are not suitable for work.)

As I’m sure that you know by now, rapper Mac Miller passed away last week, way too young at the age of 26. Miller was born and raised in Pittsburgh and represented the city proudly. Although I’m more than a decade older than Miller, we have some connections. He attended Allderdice High School where many of my friends went to school, we both went to the same camp, the founder of the company that produced Miller's first albums went to school with my brother, and we both loved the blue slide at Frick Park. (I just took my kids there when I visited Pittsburgh last month.)


I can’t say that I followed his music career all that closely after he initially hit it big. Calling his music “frat boy rap” seemed spot on at the time, and I enjoyed some of his break-out songs. However, he matured and it is reflected in his music. Miller performed a Tiny Desk concert in August and you can hear the retrospection.


It really seemed like Miller had so much going for him and ahead of him. Addiction is a terrible thing.

I recommend checking out the obituaries by the LA Times, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and Vulture.



No comments: