Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Random Ramblings

I cut myself shaving pretty badly this morning causing me to bleed my own blood on and off for nearly an hour. It's times like these when I would love to grow a Brett Keisel beard.


I'm about 75 pages until the end of Stephen King's 11/22/63. I'm not a horror fan, so this is the first Stephen King book that I'm going to finish. Despite being approximately 850 pages, it is an amazing book that I highly recommend. I guess I should probably update the "What I'm Reading" section of this blog.

Pope Francis is apparently a big soccer fan. As the Pope, can he tell Brazil to get him tickets for all of the Argentina games at the 2014 World Cup? My guess is yes and Brazil would also have to say yes, right?

I haven't filled out my NCAA bracket yet, and I really don't know what to do about Pitt. In my heart, I think they can Wichita State and the #1 seed Gonzaga. In my head, they'll probably lose in the first round, and I'll be disappointed.

Meanwhile, I'm really looking forward to seeing Kentucky play at Robert Morris in the NIT. I may need to find a bar showing this game and the Penguins-Capitals game side-by-side. Seriously, when was the last time Kentucky played a game at a venue that seats less than 3,500?

I had one of my worst experiences as a soccer referee over the weekend. During a tournament that included teams from well outside the DC area, I worked with two other officials that were very nice but completely overwhelmed and lacked the experience to work these game. I was and am embarrassed by some of the calls they made, but I really couldn't do anything about it. I agreed with all of the comments and criticism by the coaches, but I would never tell them this. Fortunately, the final score was 7-0 so the bad officiating didn't have an impact on the result. I sent an e-mail to the referee assigner with my thoughts though I haven't heard back and I'm not sure that I will. If that's the case, I'm not working for him again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

1. Yikes! Be careful with that razor, man!

2. My son's first career soccer game is on Saturday. I will keep you in mind and treat the refs kindly.

3. Living in Memphis, we are no fans of Kentucky and Calipari, so we're all enjoying the schadenfreude of seeing them play against Robert Morris.