Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I Don't Understand Virginia Sometimes

I generally like living in Virginia, and more specifically, Northern Virginia. I live in an area with good schools and libraries. I love the fact that Wegmans is only a few miles away though a local Sonic would be nice. Plus, I rely on public transportation and that usually works well for me. (I now fully expect to experience an hour-long Metro delay tomorrow.) Now to the things that bother me. Virginia will be one of the last states to approve gay marriage though marrying your first cousin will likely stay legal forever. I can't say that I'm thrilled to be in a right-to-work state where I could get fired at any time. I also don't understand why there is a one-term limit for Governor when there are no term limits for state senators or delegates. I guess the legislature wants to make sure that they have the power.



Here's something else that bothers me. While this isn't new, I'm only getting around to writing about this now since Virginia Lt. Bill Bolling announced Tuesday that he would not run for governor as an independent. You see, there is not a statewide Republican primary for Governor, Lt. Governor or Attorney General. Instead, the candidates are selected at a party convention which essentially handed the Republican nomination to Ken Cuccinelli. This seems undemocratic! Why not let the people choose instead of the party elite? Anyone have a good explanation for this?

On a related topic, the Virginia Governor race is going to be brutal, and I'm not looking forward to the campaign and especially the ads.

No comments: