Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Coup Coup for Cocoa Puffs

Earlier today, the Thai military launched a coup against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra while he was attending the U.N. General Assembly meeting in New York and have successfully taken over Bangkok. I should mention that, as long as no one gets hurt, I really like coups. It's probably because "coup" is a cool word, and not one that seems to fit with a military takeover. (Yes, I know coup comes from the French phrase "coup d'état.") Anyway, my favorite part of this coup is the quote from the Thai military, "We ask for the cooperation of the public and ask your pardon for the inconvenience." Doesn't that sound like something you would hear if your flight or Metro is delayed? I just hope that this remains peaceful since and I quote Murray Head, one night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble and the tough guys tumble.

For more serious details about the story, click here for The Washington Post's article.

No comments: