Thursday, April 07, 2016

Pittsburgh Athletes Invade Northern Virginia

We all know that there are a lot of Western Pennsylvania transplants and Pittsburgh sports fans in the DC area. I've written about this countless times when attending Pirates-Nationals games, Pens-Caps games, Pitt-Georgetown games, and in particular, the 2008 Steelers-Redskins game. Therefore, it should be no surprise that there's a sports memorabilia show occurring at the Dulles Expo Center this weekend (April 8-10) featuring more Pittsburgh athletes than Washington figures. Here are some of the former or current athletes with Pittsburgh area ties:

Le'Veon Bell
Terry Bradshaw
Antonio Brown (shouldn't he be in LA dancing?)
Dermontti Dawson
Kevin Greene
Lou Holtz (East Liverpool in the house!)
Curtis Martin (he's wearing Jets gear in the picture, but we all know he's a Pitt and Allderdice guy)
Heath Miller (I'd love to see if people go up to him and yell "Heeeeeeeeeath.")
Ryan Shazier
Stephon Tuitt
Markus Wheaton
Dion Lewis (another Pitt guy)
Michael Moorer (the pride of Monessen)
Dwight Stone

There is a lot of money to be made by the athletes and I assume by the event organizer. It costs $100 to get an 8x10 photo with Antonio Brown. While I don't think it's possible for Brown to take a bad picture, I wouldn't want to pay $80 for a picture with Kevin Greene if he looks like unhappy.

My question is why are there so few baseball, basketball and hockey players? Actually, there are no hockey players and the only baseball players are Juan Marichal, Dale Murphy, Gaylord Perry, Frank Robinson and Pedro Sierra compared to dozens of football players. Oh, and William Shatner will be there for some reason.

You'll notice that I didn't include the actual name of the event or a website link since I'm not necessarily promoting this event. If the company wants me to promote the event, I'm more than happy to do so...for the right price.

No comments: