Friday, January 18, 2013

Keepin' It Kosher Fo' Sure

We may be entering a golden era of Jewish references in pop music. It started in 2009 when the Black Eyed Peas incorporated "L'Chaim" and "Mazel Tov" in their #1 hit I Gotta Feeling. Just a few months ago, Train included the random line "How could you leave on Yom Kippur" in 50 Ways To Say Goodbye. Now, let's welcome Ke$ha to the party for her latest song, C'Mon, with this line:

We been keepin' it Kosher / But I wanna get it on fo' sure

You can also hear the line yourself at the 2:50 mark of one of the strangest videos you'll ever see.



While I'm sure that the word Kosher has been used in numerous songs before (though I can only think of The Clash's Rock the Casbah), Ke$ha is probably the first and only performer to rhyme Kosher with fo' sure.

You're move, Adele!

2 comments:

harvey said...

Sean, you're forgetting Adam Sandlers smash hit, The Chanukah Song. And, who can forget The Dradle Song, from our childhood?

Sean said...

Harvey - At this point, the Chanukah song is probably 20 years old. Plus, while I enjoy the dreidel song, I don't think it ever reached the Billboard Top 40.