Thursday, December 27, 2007

Top Songs of the 2000s

Inspired by VH1’s 100 Greatest Songs on the 90s, I decided that I would create a list of the greatest songs of the 2000s thus far:

1. In Da Club – 50 Cent
2. Lose Yourself – Eminem
3. Bye Bye Bye – ‘N Sync
4. Smooth – Santana & Rob Thomas
5. Crazy In Love – Beyonce & Jay-Z
6. How You Remind Me – Nickelback
7. Yeah! – Usher featuring Lil Jon & Ludaris
8. Complicated – Avril Lavigne
9. Hot in Herre – Nelly
10. We Belong Together – Mariah Carey
11. Fallin’ – Alicia Keys
12. Boulevard of Broken Dreams – Green Day
13. Don’t Know Why – Norah Jones
14. Since U Been Gone – Kelly Clarkson
15. Breathe – Faith Hill
16. Hollaback Girl – Gwen Stefani
17. Drop It Like It’s Hot – Snoop Dogg featuring Pharrell
18. Hanging on a Moment – Lifehouse
19. Apologize – Timbaland and OneRepublic
20. Rehab – Amy Winehouse

If you are looking for a specific equation as to how I determined these rankings, you’re not going to find one. I just tried to rank them based on my perception of how big these singles have been during this decade in terms of airplay and sales. I have no statistical data to support these numbers. So what do you think? Are there songs that I missed? I feel like a Black Eyed Peas song (either Where is the Love or My Humps) and Hey Ya by OutKast are other possibilities.

10 comments:

Mystery Man said...

The Killers belong on this list.

JQ said...

I think you've got a good start -- picking out which Outkast song they'd use would be tough, though.

Take Me Out probably needs to be on here as well. And something from U2 as well.

But man, it's tough trying to come up with a good list -- I'm getting too old for a lot of this stuff.

Sean said...

When I started thinking of this list, Beautiful Day by U2 was on it. I just forgot about it when I actually started to type.

I feel like Pink or Christina Aguillera should get some consideration here.

As for OutKast, I think Hey Ya is their biggest overall commercial and radio hit.

Anonymous said...

hey what about clay aiken or barry manilow or dixie chicks......

Sean said...

Thanks hdkart. Dixie Chicks is an excellent suggestion (not so much for Barry Manilow). :)

Anonymous said...

What about some Kanye West (Jesus Walks or Stronger)

Anonymous said...

you need to put the fray (over my head or How to save a life) or fergie (big girls dont cry)

Anonymous said...

If In Da Club is the best song of the decade, then the world is going to hell, because that is one of the stupidest songs ever written. All this song's about is having sex. It's not even romantic. Couldn't you pick something better?

Anonymous said...

jesus christ this list sucks ass
it seems like you're picking pop divas over talent but then again, isn't that what vh1 is all about

Anonymous said...

Smooth is actually from 1999.