Saturday, April 28, 2007

Pittsburgh Steelers Mascot

Are there ever cases when a mascot debuts and is universally loved? I generally think the opposite occurs as people seem to dislike or ridicule new mascots (see Screech of the Washington Nationals). It seems that the best mascots have earned their reputations through years of service and familiarity (see the Phillie Phanatic and Big Red of Western Kentucky University).

The reason I am writing this is because the Pittsburgh Steelers displayed their new mascot on Friday to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the team. Dan already gave his take about the unnamed mascot, calling him a Demento (Pennsylvania Senator) Bob Casey Junior. Other commenters wrote that he has a smaller chin than Bill Cowher and looks like Pittsburgh TV announcer Ken Rice or “the priest who made me sit in his lap last week.”

Personally, I don’t think I like the stereotype that all steelworkers go to work unshaven and wearing yellow flannel shirts and goulashes! In all seriousness, the Steelers really don’t need a mascot. Is the mascot going to go from section to section to get fans excited? No. The fans will start yelling at the mascot for getting in the way of game (like I did when the Washington Capitals mascot made me miss a Penguins goal this season). If the team feels like they MUST have a mascot, just borrow the Pirate Parrot.

Interested in naming the mascot (my suggestion is "Unnecessary"); you can click here for KDKA's website.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeh we've been talking about the new Steelers mascot over at Highbrid Nation. Our readers don't seem to care for him but I'm sitting on the fence. Its just hard for me to picture the guy lasting to long. My vote for his name though? Terrible Terry :)

breatnyS said...

Steelers are the best team in the NFL, As far as I m concerned, we have great fans, really the whole city of Pittsburgh will say that. In Pittsburgh if you want to watch the Steelers in style good luck with that, all the Steelers premium seats get sold out the day they show up in ticketmaster. Steelers tickets are sometimes 2 or even 5 times the face value. Anyhow If you get lost I have a new sight for u guys
http://www.ticketwood.com/nfl/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Tickets/index.php
Steelers tickets
Anyhow I though this is something would interest you, a tip from a Steelers fan GO Steelers!!!
God bless Football