Friday, March 22, 2024

Just A Girl

I had a small television in my residence hall room during college, but the only way to access any stations was to get cable through Time Warner. I think I paid about $10-$15 a month for the privilege of having ABC, CBS, NBC FOX, PBS, CNN, and ESPN. I don't remember having any other stations, and I know for a fact that I did not have ESPN2, though my neighbor (who now has an Oscar, Emmy, and Pulitzer) did and let me watch the Penguins-Capitals 4 overtime Petr Nedved playoff game. 

This is a long way of writing that I did not have MTV in college, and this is way before YouTube. Therefore, at some point during my time in college, I saw the video Just a Girl by No Doubt on a break from school. The song sounded different than anything else out there. Between the music (I'd never heard of ska), Gwen Stefani's voice, and an appealing video, I loved the song instantly. 


Which brings me to 2024. Listening to SiriusXM's Hits1 station with the kids, I heard a new version of Just a Girl by Hayes Warner, Billy B, and Kevin Rudolf. These are three people who have never been in my kitchen. While I hope this attracts more people to the original No Doubt song, let's just say I'm not a fan.

No comments: