Thursday, September 21, 2023

It's Not A Blog

Go ahead and say this title like Arnold would.


A few months ago, I wrote about being nominated in the Best Blog category of the Pittsburgh City Paper's Best of PGH 2023. I explained at the time that I thought you should vote for Sue of Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents or Virginia of Breathing Space. Sue and Virginia finished second and third respectively. As a tangent, Sue is going through some personal "things," so please support her if you can. In addition, Virginia recently published a book called Nothing. Everything. that I'm looking forward to reading. Go check it out!

Back to the post. When I wrote about being nominated, I included this statement about one of my fellow nominees Uncle Bob's Magic Cabinet or UBMC not to be confused with UPMC, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center:

This nomination actually bothers me. This is a website promoting a mother and daughter's podcast about magic and mythology. There are no posts on the website. A nomination in the podcast category would be appropriate but not in the blog category.

UBMC ended up winning in this category which boggles my mind because IT'S NOT A F!&%ING BLOG! It's a website for the podcast. There are no posts. Pittsburgh City Paper interviewed the mother-daughter duo who also won in the Best Podcast category. There's no mention of a blog or writing in the article. You know why? Again, it's because IT'S NOT A BLOG!


Look, I know some people might have an issue with my nomination since I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore. That's fair. I would counter that I've been part of the Pittsburgh Bloggers Facebook group for years, contribute to the Ya Jagoff website, and often write about Pittsburgh topics, most notably Pittsburgh sports teams. However, Sean's Ramblings would be eligible as a blog because this site is a blog.

Okay, I'm done thinking about this. Maybe the City Paper can screen its nominees a little more next year.

No comments: