Thursday, May 24, 2018

The End of a Fantasy Football League?

I've been in several (okay, many) fantasy football leagues over the years, but there's one I've been in for nearly a decade that may not return in 2018. Although he's not the Commissioner, there's one individual who is pretty much the main person since he's the only one that knows everyone in the league. The league wouldn't have started without him. I also like and respect this person very much.

Back in November, he posted this on the league message board:

As a Vietnam Vet, [I have] lost all interest in the NFL until Roger Goodell and the NFL learn and start complying with American Flag protocol. I regret that this will be my last year in Fantasy unless such protocol is enforced. This has nothing to do with my standings but standing up for my beliefs. I am only participating this year so as not to affect the outcome of this years competition.


There were only a few comments, some in support and others sharing thoughts about freedom of speech, the Constitution, and the reason why NFL players kneeled which had nothing to do about disrespecting the flag and the military.

On Wednesday, NFL owners "unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer." I'm trying not to get political here, but the NFL set this policy clearly because of political pressure and it doesn't hurt that the league receives millions of dollars each year from the Department of Defense for all of the pre-game flag displays and activities.

President Trump doubled-down on Thursday agreeing with the policy but then said "You have to stand proudly for the national anthem or you shouldn't be playing, you shouldn't be there. Maybe you shouldn't be in the country."

That's not how this country works. Again, I don't want to be too political here, but this tweet from former NFL QB Sage Rosenfels is perfect.



Now, I'm curious to see if the policy is enough to get the fantasy football league back for another season.

Photo by Getty Images

No comments: