Wednesday, May 13, 2015

This Is 40

When I turned 13, I had a Bar Mitzvah and became a man. (In actuality, turning 13 is the age for fulfillment of the Commandments. In related news, I'm still waiting to receive a fountain pen.)

When I turned 16, I got my driver's permit and later my license. What a sense of freedom to be able to go to the store to buy milk or to pick up your brother from soccer practice.

When I turned 18, I could legally buy lottery tickets (check) and cigarettes (pass).

At 21, I could (and did) legally drink. I also learned that drinking a Long Island Iced Tea and other alcohol and finishing the night with Ben & Jerry's ice cream is a terrible idea.

I could rent a car at 25. (Not very exciting.)

At 35, I was eligible to serve as President. To celebrate, I wrote a blog post about it. I presented my platform a few years later.

Through all of this, it took until now, today, at the age of 40 to be a man.

Take it away Oklahoma State University football coach Mike Gundy. (Go to the 2:20 mark for this entire blog post to make sense.)

No comments: