Thursday, October 10, 2013

Pirates Won! (In My Dream)

I rarely remember my dreams, but this one was somewhat odd and certainly topical, so I wanted to share what should have happened in last night's Pittsburgh Pirates-St. Louis Cardinals playoff game. Please note that all of this truly did occur in my dream, so feel free to provide your dream analysis in the comments section below.

With the Cardinals up 6-1, the Pirates started getting runners on base and scoring runs. The Cardinals kept pitcher Adam Wainwright in the game too long until finally calling their bullpen and bringing Angela from The Office into the game. She had a great fastball, but couldn't seem throw a strike.


With the bases loaded and the Pirates down 6-5, the team brought in pinch hitter, Emeka Okafor. Why the 6' 10" Washington Wizards basketball player was on the Pirates makes as much sense as Angela from The Office being on the Cardinals. Anyway, Okafor hit a ground-rule double that should have been a home run. Since baseball has instant replay for home runs, I have no idea why this was not reviewed.

In the bottom of the 9th, the Pirates brought in Jason Isringhausen to finish the game. Isringhausen was the Cardinals closer for several years, but retired from baseball after the 2012 season and hasn't played for the Cardinals since 2008. He also never played for the Pirates.

I missed seeing Isringhausen retire the Cardinals in order as well as part of the top of the 9th inning since I was watching the game via DVR. Of course, the DVR acted like an old VCR where I would have to press stop to fast-forward and rewind with no idea where it would land when I pressed play again.

As the Pirates celebrated, Howard Stern sang "We Are The Champions" but in a serious manner and not in any type of ironic way. For some reason, the television also showed Jon Stewart several times while dressed in a suit like on The Daily Show set. Apparently, he was part of the Pirates organization and made the decision to have Okafor pinch hit.

Oh, despite playing the Cardinals, this was a World Series victory and not the divisional round series win.

I should mention that I watched this game with a housekeeper that I've never met and my mother-in-law. I also remember that I wanted to see the reaction to the Pirates win on Twitter.

So there you have it! While the game really went like this (and other accounts too), I like the version that occurred in my dream better.

4 comments:

Harvey said...

I believe the only rational explanation for this twisted dream sequence is, malaria. Must have caught it from your son, who is since over it. OR, your son hit you in the head with many of the yet-to-be-picked-up blocks, which in turn caused the delusional dream sequence. : )

Ngewo said...

How did you know that you were watching the game with your housekeeper, who you have never met? Was she wearing a maid's outfit?

Unknown said...

This is textbook wish fulfillment, as described by Freud in The Interpretation of Dreams(1899). This is what happens when your deepest desires are repressed by the conscious mind, social norms, or Adam Wainwright's curveball.

Sean said...

Harvey - My next dream involved the Flyers firing its coach only 3 games into the season, but that, obviously, would never happen.

Josh - I don't remember. Maybe she was wearing a maid's outfit but she wasn't sure. For some reason, she also mentioned that she was a Cubs fan.

Aaron - I was waiting for someone to make a Freud connection though you get a gold star for citing the book!