Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Congratulations Neil Diamond

Congratulations to Neil Diamond on his induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame! I've mentioned this previously, but Neil Diamond was the first concert I attended (at Pittsburgh's Civic Arena!) when I was only 5 or 6. You want to see highlights from his ceremony, don't you? I know that I did.



There are so many questions about this video.

- Did Neil perform Sweet Caroline twice consecutively?
- Why not throw in Forever In Blue Jeans or America?
- Who are the dancing women just past the 5-minute mark?
- Is fellow inductee Alice Cooper somewhere off-camera singing along?
- Was it just me or did the person filming seem to lose Neil during much of the first minute? (Then out of nowhere, Neil appears right in front of the camera.)

Yes, any post about Neil Diamond is an excuse to link to my Neil Diamond concert experience and the offer I received to get free tickets in exchange for getting someone messy.

In addition, here's a video of Neil Diamond on David Letterman. I have no idea when this appearance took place, but Paul Shaffer had hair.

3 comments:

Gilahi said...

Well gee... he must be about 106 years old by now (he was a songwriter for The Monkees, among others, before he started performing his own stuff). Maybe "Sweet Caroline" is the only song he can remember.

Sean said...

Ouch. Well, Neil still looks pretty good for 106. As for remembering his songs, he's currently on tour in Australia and he seems to still know his songs there.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Gilahi, is it? Well, he's 70 this year (2011), so I'm guessing he was in his early 50's when that video was shot. Yes, he did write some songs that the Monkees recorded, but Neil was working for a publishing house at the time and not for the Monkees. Just to clarify. Have a great day!