Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Omaha - Somewhere in the Middle of America

I am writing this from Omaha, Nebraska continuing my tour of random U.S. cities. I did not know this until I landed but President Bush is also in town. He is actually staying only a few blocks from where I am. I just hope that traffic isn't bad tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and my flight isn't delayed.

A few notes from here:

- Here's what I had for dinner the past two nights: chicken & salmon. That's right, I'm in Omaha and have not had a steak. I really wanted one tonight but it was a little too much (especially since everyone else was ordering entrees that cost less than the steak).

- I can now add Iowa to states that I have been in. Omaha is on the Nebraska side of the Missouri River, which borders Iowa. I need to do a little more research about this but apparently, the Corps of Engineers moved the Missouri River years ago. A town in Iowa that was to the east of the river became west of the river. However, the town decided to stay as Iowa. Therefore, this one town of several thousand people is considered Iowa even though it is completely surrounded by Nebraska.

- Did you know that President Ford was born in Omaha? Me neither. I always thought he was from Michigan.

- I think that's it. I have no other Omaha knowledge to share except that the College World Series will be here next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omaha is also where AZA first started!

Sean said...

Amy, of course I know that Chapter #1 was/is in Omaha.

Omaha is also home of ConAgra foods, Mutual of Omaha, Union Pacific and a not so good waiter who looked somewhat like Patrick Dempsey.