Thursday, January 12, 2012

Stolen Car Tire

After learning that someone stole my car tire yesterday, a family member jokingly said that they would read more about it on my blog. Am I really that predictable?

Anyway, let’s go back to that stolen car tire thing. When I went to my car Wednesday morning, I noticed that the car seemed a little lower in the front. My parking lot slants slightly downward, so I didn’t think much of it as I strapped my child into the car seat. I started the car and decided that I needed to scrape frost off of the windows. Although I cleared ice from the front windshield directly in front of the steering wheel and all of the windows, I didn’t touch the portion of the front windshield in front of the passenger side. I quickly returned to my car to avoid the cold and put my car in reverse. Unfortunately, the car didn’t move. I stepped on the gas with the same result. It was then that I walked to the front of the car and noticed that I was missing my front right wheel.

(This is not a picture of my car.)

Sometime probably Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, thieves took the tire and rim, but left my hubcap and the lug nuts (heh, heh) on the pavement. Although the hooligans didn't put the car on a block, according to the tow truck driver, it appeared that they gently placed the axel on the ground. There was no additional damage other than needing to replace the tire and rim.

I informed the police about the incident yesterday morning, and they indicated that they would let me know if this is a trend. When I posted information about the stolen tire on the community message board, I learned that another car in the neighborhood also had a tire stolen. Seems like a trend to me!

Of course, the police probably (and rightly so) don’t really care about a stolen tire. I’m not going to contact my insurance company about this either. Basically, I’m out a couple hundred bucks, but at least I found a topic for a new blog post!

2 comments:

lacochran's evil twin said...

That sucks! Glad it wasn't worse, though.

Bastards.

Anonymous said...

Almost exactly happened to me last night. It was 1 am and got into my car and started the engine and when I put the gear on reverse to move the car would not move. I didn't know what was wrong with it but I got out of my car I noticed the front left tire was stolen and the rim was professionally placed on a wooden block. What do you think I do? Should I inform the care taker of my apartment? making an insurance claim would be costly. Should I just get a new tire and done with it. Your comment and suggestions is greatly appreciated.