Thursday, April 01, 2010

TMI Thursday: End of an Era

I figure TMI Thursday is as an appropriate time and place as any to make an announcement. After 1,525 posts over 5+ years, I am ending my time at Sean’s Ramblings. After posting nearly every weekday over the past few years, regular readers may have noticed a slight decrease in my writing and the addition of more and more videos as posts. I still enjoy writing, but I’ve been a little frustrated lately. A few big projects I worked on have fell through. Plus, some anonymous comments like those below have worn on me.

- What's your point?
- Welcome back for the Sweet 16 presented by the worst blog known to man
- Smooth is actually from 1999.
- This may be the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my life.
- Why the f is that place called California Tortilla and its not in California

Over the years, I have struggled with the direction of this blog. Do I write only about Pittsburgh sports? Do I write only about pop culture? Do I write more or less about myself? I’ve never been able to figure out what I want to do. If I decide to start a new blog, maybe I’ll have a specific theme. I’m sure that you know the book and movie Marley and Me. Maybe I’ll start Ziggy and Zme! (I’ll have to work on the name.)



So what am I going to do with my free time? I don’t know. Maybe I’ll post more on Twitter (subtle hint to attract more followers). Maybe I’ll start Mafia Wars or Farmville like everyone seems to do on in their Facebook updates.

I’d like to thank everyone for reading and for sharing your thoughts and comments over the years. I truly appreciate all of the time you have spent reading this blog. Hopefully, I’ve given you something to think about. Probably not. At the very least, I hope that I have entertained you. With that, I’ll leave you with one final video. I can’t get this song out of my head, so it might as well get stuck in your head too.



Filet O Fish. Something else I can't eat during Passover.

For more TMI Thursdays, please visit LiLu and you can click here to see all of my TMI Thursday archives.


Update: Please note the date of this post and see some of the comments.

18 comments:

Gilahi said...

I, for one, will miss you, Sean. Can't try to encourage you to continue, as I haven't written anything in months and don't see myself doing so in the near future. Hope you continue to read blogs and that maybe we can see you at another happy hour sometime.

Nichole Fisher said...

I'll miss your blog - especially trivia tuesday :)

tecmo said...

Sean...there were very few Pittsburgh blogs when I started mine just over 3 years ago, and even fewer that I actually enjoyed. This was one of them. I'll be sad to see it go, but look forward to whatever you plan on doing in the future.

You always know how to get ahold of me

Nicholas
tecmo

Cotter said...

Oh Sean, say it ain't so! I can't believe the latest Ramblings will henceforth be absent from my Google Reader!

I can't say I don't understand the frustration. Blogs have changed. Readers have changed. But hey, five years is about four and a half longer than most other blogs last on these here internets. You've done some awesome things in that time, and I've appreciated all of them.

Enjoy your life, man. Blogging is a lot of work for [comparatively] not a lot of reward. I think you'll be back in some capacity, but even if you're not, I'm sure you will still be a pillar among the Pittsburgh blogging community.

It's been my great pleasure to read Sean's Ramblings for the last three years or so. Thank you for the work you put in and the great posts you provided. You will be missed :)

Cheers and here's to Ziggy!

- C

drinkyourmilkshake said...

Sean,
I always enjoyed your blog.

I myself have had to take an extended absence myself due to "real world commitments," so I can understand why you have to take a break.

You will certainly be missed.

Thanks and hope to see you back in the blogosphere in the near future.

Frank aka DrinkYourMilkshake.

lacochran said...

April Fools?! You can totally do take-backs on April 1st.

I'd hate to see you go.

tecmo said...

man if this is an april fools gag, you actually got me. probably the first one that got me today.

if not, my comment above still stands.

ps i will physically fight all anonymous commenters

ClevelandPoet said...

love the filet o fish song!

Sean said...

Thank you very much for all of your nice comments. I really do appreciate your kind sentiments, and they mean a lot to me.

Lacochran is right that this post is an April Fools joke. With that written, everything else in the post is true. I think I'm going to cut back on my writing and perhaps even take a break.

With the exception of Nichole, who I've sort of been in touch again because of our blogs, everyone of you that commented I know/met because of blogging. That's probably the main reason why I'm not retiring.

Basically, I'm not leaving but you may see less of me.

P.S. Tecmo - I've got your back when you fight the anonymous bloggers!

Alyxmyself said...

This is why I disabled anonymous comments on my fledgeling blog.

That said, I started it for me, and I'll keep doing it for me, and if at some point it becomes not fun or a release I no longer need, I'll do the same as you. We have to allow ourselves to grow, right? I mean, you knew when you were a kid that your shirts didn't reach your wrists, or that man-liner stopped you from getting that job, or pajama pants were no longer suitable for the grocery store, so why shouldn't it be the same when we get older?

Messiah said...

What's your point?

rachaelgking said...

Ha! You totally got me until I read the comments!

Mom said...

I was really upset that you were stopping your blog. I should have known that it was an April Fool's thing. You really got us all! Glad you're nor giving it up!

Sean said...

Alyxmyself - Thanks for your comment. I completely agree with almost everything you said. However, I have been known to wear pajama pants to the grocery store in recent years, particularly when I was able to walk to the store.

Messiah - That question is one of life's mysteries!

LiLu - For the sake of future TMI Thursdays I'd like to share, I can't retire just yet.

Mom - I would have given you a head's up if I really did retire.

Brendon said...

I just figured out this was an April fools joke. I probably should have read everyone else's comments earlier. Really, this bummed me out so much earlier.

Christine said...

Glad you're staying around, Sean - would have missed your blog for all of the topics and you're fun writing style/tone. Keep it coming!

Krista said...

Oh Sean..You totally had me going there.

You know that this is the ONLY place I go for Pittsburgh sports news!

And I'll totally take on those wussy anon commenters for you! And I fight dirty.

Sean said...

Thanks for your comments, Hand of Godard, Christine & Krista!

Krista - Based on where we went to high school, I know you can take on the anonymous commenters!