Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Thoughts About The 2026 VMAs From An Old Guy

I had no intention of writing a blog post about this year’s MTV Video Music Awards. As an AARP member, I’m not part of the award show’s target demographic, and I didn’t plan on even watching it. And then I did. The show was hosted by Snoop Dogg, and the first musical performance was by Madonna (more on that momentarily). The evening featured Nirvana receiving the Video Vanguard Award. There were tributes to Dolly Parton and George Michael, and appearances by Chuck D, Emma Bunton (Baby Spice), and Rachel Dratch. Wait, look at all of those names. I AM THE TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC! They're talking about me!


Think about it. Do teens and people in their 20s watch MTV? And if they do, it’s certainly not for music videos since the station doesn’t play them anymore. Awards for music videos are for people in their 40s or older. Sure, there are enough younger performers and presenters to interest people under 40, but the phrase VMAs means more to us older folks. So despite several moments where I caught myself thinking “what the heck is this,” I still watched the show. I mean, I watched some of the Pitt-Stanford women’s volleyball match first and then the VMAs, but that’s the joy in being able to record shows. On to the notes!

* The opening number was odd. There were people writhing on stage with a video of Madonna talking behind what could have been a glass shower door. Then the camera cut to Madonna sitting on top of a piano with someone playing the piano turned away from the camera/audience. That someone was Sabrina Carpenter. Dancers soon appeared, and my favorite part was this clear scene of Madonna not even attempting to lip-sync.


Madonna then took a table ride around the stage ending in a bathroom setting singing with Charli XCX. And if this sounds confusing and unbelievable, it was. Oh, and Julia Garner and Debi Mazar and Seth Rogan all appeared too along with dozens of dancers because why not. If you really want to watch it, the video below shows the Madonna/Sabrina portion while this short shows the beginning of Charli XCX and Madonna.


* Madonna ended up winning three awards including Artist of the Year. In 2026. Not 1986, 2026. Did she not win VMAs earlier in her career, and these were essentially lifetime achievement awards?

* Sienna Spiro won the Best New Artist award. Fun fact: Spiro was the only nominee to perform at the show and may have been the only nominee present. Between this and Madonna’s three wins, I’m starting to think that maybe the award voting is flawed at best or perhaps even rigged. I mean, no accountants were mentioned or introduced during the telecast. 

* I don’t remember where I saw this online, but someone wrote that Nirvana's Krist Novoselic looks like Dr. Phil. Now I can't get this image out of my head.


* Lisa won the award for Best Pop. Not Best Pop song, just Best Pop. Apparently, she will now appear with Snap and Crackle on Rice Krispies cereal boxes. 


(If I had any talent as a blogger, I would have photoshopped Lisa in place of Pop in the picture above.)

* While Lisa also performed, there was a missed opportunity to have a Lisa / Lisa Lisa collaboration. 

* Taylor Swift won video of the year and received the first Artist Director award, which seems like something made up to make sure she attended. Disappointing that her husband wasn’t there to support her. Oh, apparently he had to work in Miami and couldn’t make it to Los Angeles in time. But did he even try? 

I really liked the performances by Kacey Musgraves honoring Dolly, Shaboozey, and the George Michael tribute.


I think I'm officially done with the VMAs. Unless next year they feature Billy Joel, Debbie Gibson, Mariah Carey, Oasis, Pearl Jam, U2, and a tribute to Prince!


Nirvana photo by Kevin Winter-Getty Images.

No comments: