Thursday, March 24, 2022

Coach Ice T

If you’re under 30 or 35, you probably only know Ice T from his acting on Law & Order: SVU. Maybe you remember that he had a reality show Ice Loves Coco on the E! network. He has also appeared in several commercials including those for Tide detergent for “Cold Calls” with “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and quarterback Matt Ryan aka Matty Ice. If you’re older than 35 or 40, you probably remember Ice T as part of the musical group Body Count, best known for their controversial song, Cop Killer. In the early 90s, this was a huge deal. The song was denounced by President George H. W. Bush, Vice President Dan Quayle, and Tipper Gore and was prominently mentioned in newscasts and articles.

Last year, I wrote about how I started adding blueberries to my Honey Nut Cheerios. It was probably my worst blog post of 2021 though I still enjoy this combination for my breakfast. The back of the box features the "Pour Your Heart Into It" workout series with Coach Ice T. I highly recommend listening to the audio of this 3 minute and 14 second walking workout. And by walking workout, it's really dialog between Ice T and Buzz, the Honey Nut Cheerios mascot encouraging you to walk for about two minutes. My favorite quote is Ice T telling the cartoon bee, "I like walking with you too, Buzz." "Hustlers hustle at their own pace" is also a phrase I need to use more often.


Anyway, if you're like Marty McFly and can travel to the past, I'd love to see the reactions of people in 1993 (including Ice T himself) telling them that Ice T would be in a series of commercials and workouts for Honey Nut Cheerios.

No comments: