Friday, June 14, 2019

Friday Video: Death Metal Grandma

This Friday video is different than usual where I generally post videos of current song. Ithaca College graduate Leah Galant's "Death Metal Grandma" won the best documentary at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival. Here's a description of the documentary from Ithaca College:

There are sweet, kind grandmas, and there are cool grandmas. Then there’s Inge Ginsberg, the subject of 2015 Ithaca College graduate Leah Galant’s new documentary, “Death Metal Grandma.” The short film, which debuted at the SXSW Film Festival and can be seen on the New York Times website, follows the 96-year-old Holocaust survivor as she turns her poetry into heavy metal music and auditions for “America’s Got Talent.”

“I wanted to show that beyond the spectacle of ‘Death Metal Grandma’ lies an incredible, resilient and fierce woman named Inge Ginsberg,” said Galant, who studied documentary studies and production at the college’s Roy H. Park School of Communications. “Throughout the filming process, I was privileged to be the recipient of so much of her wisdom — much of which ended up in the film. I also wanted to highlight the importance of intergenerational relationships, which Inge and I both benefited from enormously.”


This less than 13-minute documentary is fascinating and definitely worth watching.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi I just read your post pn the shooting at eoodland hills. You posted jt 7 years ago so i doubt you rmemember it. My mom was glung to school there when that happened too. I cant get her to tell me much abkut it tho

Sean said...

Unknown - First, I hope that you see this reply. Yes, I absolutely remember the post as well as the shooting at my high school. Since you found the post, I hope that you also read the comments from others who were there that day. There are definitely parts of that day that I’ll never forget and I’m sure I’m not alone.