Friday, December 16, 2016

The Dream Is Over

Last month, I applied for press credentials for the 2017 Academy Awards. Unfortunately, I didn't realize the due date to apply was the day I looked on the Oscars website, so I had to quickly complete the application. In hindsight, I wish I would have added more to this question:

19. Provide any additional information necessary to complete your application. This may include special access requests in addition to the above positions and/or specific requests regarding the above positions.

I do not require any special access. While The Academy works with many of the biggest global media organizations, this would be an opportunity for The Academy to get covered by the "little guy." Sure, it might be fun to see Ryan Seacrest interview Meryl Streep, but seeing the guy next door interview Streep (and more importantly talk to the people that don't necessarily get the attention they deserve) would be more interesting.

If I had more than 5 minutes, perhaps I would have phrased this differently. Anyway, on Thursday, I received the following e-mail:


89TH OSCARS®

MEDIA CREDENTIALS APPLICATION

CREDENTIALS REQUEST REPLY


Sean's Ramblings, (Not Dear Sean's Ramblings, Dear Sean, Dear Mr. Ramblings, or even Dear Mr. My Last Name...just Sean's Ramblings)

We regret to inform you that the Academy is not able to accommodate your request(s) for credentials to cover the 89th Oscars on Sunday, February 26, 2017, and the Nominations Announcement on Tuesday, January 24, 2017.

This is a travesty!

Please be aware that information about the Academy and the Oscars is always available on the Academy’s year-round web site at http://www.oscars.org/. Additionally, information will be available on the official website of the 89th Oscars, http://www.oscar.com/, beginning with Nominations information on Tuesday, January 24. Oscar.com will continue to be an excellent source of Oscars information in the weeks leading up to the Academy Awards presentation on Oscar® Sunday, February 26, 2017.

Due to safety and capacity regulations, the Academy will no longer offer Oscars Setup credentials (also previously known as Exterior Access and Oscar Week credentials) for the upcoming show. We will provide other coverage opportunity and event information in January on our Oscars Coverage Planning Calendar at www.oscars.org/press.


So there's still a chance I could cover some random, not as important event in January?

PHOTOS

Images of all Oscars pre-events and the 89th Oscars will be posted as they are available at http://photos.oscars.org/.


Why do I have a feeling that I won't be allowed to post these pictures on my blog.

Thank you for your interest in the Oscars.

It would have been nice to have this signed. Sincerely, Oscar or Sincerely, Anna Kendrick. (I just figure that Anna Kendrick is involved in all facets of the Oscars.


I don't think I can appeal this decision, so I'll have to try again next year. Actually, maybe I'll apply for media coverage for the Emmy Awards instead!

4 comments:

Harvey said...

I'd like Anna Kendrick to be involved in any facet of my Oscar.

Sean said...

(Trying to come up with an appropriate response in which I agree with you but don't want to get into a potential PG-13/R-rated discussion.)

Sandra Smith-Doghmi said...

Well, it was a blink of comfort knowing someone else is going through the same disappointed email! I too have thoughts of other award shows. Perhaps we will meet each other there!

Sean said...

Sandra, the Academy Awards made a big mistake not including us. Hopefully they will see the error in their ways and allow us to attend next year. An honorary Oscar would be acceptable too!