Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Sean on Science: Asparagus Pee

While scientists have debated an important topic for decades, I’m going to solve it today with your help. Yes, we’re tackling asparagus pee. Some of you may have no idea what I’m writing about. Others of you may be like me and notice a distinctive odor in your pee after eating asparagus. According to this article by Discovery, “The ReSearch Guide to Body Fluids (by Paul Spinrad, June Books, N.Y., 1994), says just 22 percent of survey respondents experience asparagus pee.” It turns out that the 22 percent don’t just emit the asparagus pee, but actually have the receptors to smell it. I am proud to be one of the 22%!

Anyway, are you part of the 22%? If so, do your parents also experience asparagus pee? Maybe just one parent experiences asparagus pee. If you’re a parent yourself, does your child follow in your footsteps? In my household, my son has never had asparagus and since he doesn’t talk yet, wouldn’t be able to tell me anyway. The other person in my household that probably doesn’t want to be discussed here on this topic does not notice a distinctive urine odor after eating asparagus.


By the way, I’m sure that I could look up asparagus pee and genetics somewhere online, but it’s more fun to hear from you and your theories about how asparagus pee, um passes, through generations.

4 comments:

Nichole Fisher said...

I am also one of the 22%, but neither of my parents eat asparagus, so I'm not sure about the genetics.

lacochran's evil twin said...

Had heard about the asparagus pee effect but didn't know it was genetic. I don't notice a difference, personally.

Sean said...

I'm not sure if it the asparagus pee thing is genetic or not. It's just a theory. Maybe it has something to do with the environment. Your classic nature vs. nurture debate!

red pen mama said...

My husband and I are in the 22%. I'm not sure about our parents -- that'll be a fun conversation. Once my children agree to eat asparagus without making that "ick" face, I'll ask them about it.