Wednesday, August 22, 2018

2018 MTV VMAs

I watched the 2018 MTV VMAs on Monday, apparently to prove that I am old and not in touch with current popular music. If you're not interested in this topic, I suggest you scroll down to the end for an amazing video which I think was the highlight of the night. Here are the people in attendance who are older than me:

Jennifer Lopez
Madonna
Aerosmith
Some (but not all) members of Backstreet Boys
Ariana Grande's mom and grandmother
Camila Cabello's mom
Ken Jeong

That's it. In case you're wondering, I'm two months older than Alex Rodriguez. Other reasons how this award show made me feel old:

1. Apparently it's fine to say "sh!t" on MTV now. (It's not okay to say it on Sean's Ramblings though.)

2. When did face tattoos become such a big thing? When Mike Tyson got one years ago, it was major news.


For example, pictured above is Post Malone, who I assume chose his stage name as a tribute to the former Utah Jazz power forward. Someone also really could have showed him how to move the microphone up. Besides the awards he won, it was also a big night for him as he got to perform with the guy from the Skittles commercial.


Camila Cabello won a few VMAs including video of the year and artist of the year, so you would think that Tiffany Haddish would be able to pronounce her name correctly.

If you don't show up to the awards show, you don't get an award. Beyoncé and Jay-Z, Bruno Mars, Ed Sheeran, Childish Gambino: No (major) awards for you!

I'm pro-Ariana Grande. That is all.

At the beginning of the show, Cardi B held one of those award statue moon-man things. Yet, when she won the award for best new artist, she remarked how heavy it was. Does that mean that she held a fake award at the beginning? Is there a conspiracy here?

Finally, this was by far my favorite part of the night.


That is Bebe Rexha dancing backstage. Meanwhile, the guy on the left just wanted to get by to do his job. I love the look on his face.

Photo by Theo Wargo / Getty Images

No comments: